edited January 2014 in ORK Support
Hi, I hate to post on here with something that I should be able to get working properly, but I'm really stuck with this.

I've been working through the game tutorials and have reached the point where I add the first battle to a scene. Having set up everything word-for-word (I've checked and re-checked several times not to ensure that I've not missed anything), my character runs straight through the sphere collider of the battle starter without anything happening.

Is there anything I might have hit in the editor that would prevent the battle from starting? I've tried everything I can think of...
// www.newrealitygames.co.uk \\
  • Did you select the correct faction for the enemies of the battle?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I set the enemy faction to 'enemies' in the battle starter on the scene, but haven't come across any other factions settings during my travels? It was something that came to mind though.

Another thing that I noticed was a 'battle scene' scene in the tutorial assets. Does this have any purpose at all?
  • Update: I did a little more tinkering and found that if I tried to spawn the 'Brown Pants' (player combatant) he would spawn and I could fight him, but obviously he has no AI since you're supposed to be directing him.

But as soon as I try to spawn any of the real enemy combatants, the battle starter stops working again.

So what could be wrong with the enemy combatants? I've tried using groups as well, to no avail. I really have backtracked so many times and can't think of anything else to try, short of importing the demo and using that as a project foundation :/
  • Strange ... have you set up the status values of your enemy combatants?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Yep, to the exact settings as per the tutorial.
  • If Brown Pants works, you could try duplicating and re-purposing it into an enemy; you may figure out where in the process things are getting messed up.
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • Well, without seeing your project I can't really tell what's wrong ... if you're following the tutorials, everything should work ...
  • Not to worry. I did as suggested: copied Brown Pants and edit the data from there. That seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks for the support!

One quick question- when creating prefabs to be used as weapons, is there anything in particular that would stop it from showing in battle? For that matter, when selecting it as an equipped item, the name shows in the list but disappears when selected.

I've used the longsword prefab as an example. I created a box collider and attached a cylinder to it (with a toon shader and bark material). It seems to mimic everything on the sword, and yet, I can't get the damn prefab I made to appear in game.
  • First of all, there are two different prefabs for equipment, one for the item collector and one for the equipment viewer. If you've set up the equipment viewer prefab, it should be displayed.

Unless your combatant can't equip the weapon :)
    So, check your combatant's class if the weapon is enabled.
  • Thanks GiL! I'll check that when I'm back on my work PC.
  • edited January 2014
    I have the exact same problem, my character goes through the sphere collider.
    I have set the collider to Enemies and Evil Pants and triple checked the tutorial, nothing happens.

When changing Evil Pants to Brown Pants, battle starts..
    Once I switched back to Evil *anything* it now crashes.
    With this error in console

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ORKFramework.Battle.EnemyDefeated (ORKFramework.Combatant e)
    ORKFramework.Combatant.Died ()
    ORKFramework.DeathAction.ActionEndSetup ()
    ORKFramework.BaseAction.EventEnded ()
    ORKFramework.BaseAction.PerformAction ()
    ORKFramework.Battle.UnshiftAction (ORKFramework.BaseAction action)
    ORKFramework.Combatant.Death ()
    ORKFramework.Combatant.CheckDeath ()
    ORKFramework.StatusValue.CheckBounds (Boolean checkDeath, Boolean checkLevelUp)
    ORKFramework.CombatantStatus.ResetStatus ()
    ORKFramework.Combatant.Init (Int32 level, Int32 classLevel, Int32 classID)
    ORKFramework.CombatantGroupMember.Create (ORKFramework.Group g)
    ORKFramework.BattleCombatant.GetGroup (ORKFramework.Behaviours.BaseSpawner spawner, Int32 spawnerIndex)
    ORKFramework.Behaviours.BattleComponent.AddTeamToBattle (Int32 index)
    ORKFramework.Behaviours.BattleComponent.StartBattle ()
    ORKFramework.Behaviours.BattleComponent.StartEvent ()
    ORKFramework.Behaviours.BaseInteraction.OnTriggerEnter (UnityEngine.Collider other)

Post edited by artainx on
    ORK user since 2014. Patron since 2018.
  • edited January 2014
    Now I did as Kirb suggested, copy over my Brown Pants and modify its settings to match what is needed for the Evil Pants...combat now works.
  • Very strange - do you still have a project where this occurs?
    If you could send me your events and ORK project (found at Assets/ORK Framewor/ORKProject.asset) I may be able to figure out what's wrong ...

Also, I'll give the game tutorials another try tomorrow, maybe there is something wrong :)
  • edited February 2014
    Yes i still have the project with the Evil Pants NOW working since doing that copy and edit of Brown Pants, and in it the unchanged Evil Caster and Evil Supporter still crash with error.

Sent to contact email in your About.

*note Ive changed the name of Brown Pants to Survivor for my own project*

• As stated in the email: Your enemies died the instant they where initialized because of another Consumable type status value that had Death on Minimum enabled, but not correctly set up on the combatant.
    This caused a problem when removing them before everything was correctly initialized for battle.