edited January 2015 in ORK Support
My bottom line question is how can you give the Player in an event a choice of Defense Attributes you've set up? : ) And show that choice in the Stats Menu Screen?

This is to give the Player a choice of setting up their Hero at the beginning of the game, among choosing a Name and Class, etc.

I have a Defense Attribute of Race--I was following the tutorials and started out with a sub attribute of Human--I think--not sure anymore--it's been awhile--but then decided to have some more---Dragon blood, Troll blood, etc. because am used to having different Races in addition to Classes.

I gave the player a choice of these Defense Attributes via setting variables in the startEvent, like dragon for Dragon blood---because I couldn't find a way to do this choice in an event unless I missed it. I give the player a special item if they are one or the other of those races and they have some special dialogues and possibilities in the game--so I could explain that in a How To.

Just noticed that I can't show up my Defense Attribute of Race in the Stats Menu screen without it just showing "Human"--not my other choices. That makes sense because I did the choice via a variable but because I couldn't find a different way to do it.

Is there a simple way to show what your chosen Defense Attribute---sub-attribute is in a Menu Screen--can the Player choose it in an event? Having set a variable for it, can I make it show up in the Stats Menu Screen somehow? Thanks for any help.

I use the traditional stuff for rpg games of Classes--no problem--but for Race---can't seem to get it so it shows up in the Menu Screen for Stats.
: )
Post edited by Catacomber on
  • That's currently not possible through the event system, I'll look into adding a step for that.

For now, you could just add a different player combatant depending on the choice.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited January 2015
    I think it would be a very helpful step as complex rpg games use Race as a choice in building a player.

Not sure how adding a different player combatant would help me as my player is a first person combatant --just a capsule but not sure if I'm missing what you are saying. Lol. I think I'm better off adding the Race as a variable and inventory object.

Just saying. : )

I can't spawn a human, dragon or troll, just my capsule.

And I need some way to check in my dialogues and quest dislogues whether the player has a defense attribute of his race. Right now I do that by checking the variable I set. It's actually not a bad way to do it.

• Different combatants with different settings, e.g. defence attributes :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks. : ) I guess I will redo that.
  • Hi, Gil--I can't seem to get this to work. In the Start Event I spawn the player add him to the Active Group--etc---then when I have the dialogue asking if he's a certain race, I lose the view of the scene and crash and get this error message--

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ORKFramework.TargetSelection.Tick (ORKFramework.Combatant user, Boolean inMenu, Int32 index, Boolean isGroupTarget)
    ORKFramework.ControlHandler.Tick ()
    ORKFramework.ORKCore.FireTick ()
    ORKFramework.ORKHandler.Update ()

That's using Leave Active Group Hero Human and Add to Active Group Hero Troll

I also tried using Set Player to change him from a Hero Human to Hero Troll but that just didn't work.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I have all three Hero races set up as combatants in Default Group
    Hero Human
    Hero Dragon
    Hero Troll

and three Combatants set up---

but can't seem to make things work in the startEvent.

Thanks for any help.
  • Will look into it, probably an issue if you remove the last combatant of the player group.
    Also, the next update will include the new event step to change the defence attribute :)
  • edited January 2015
    Happiness is a warm update! : ) That sounds as though it would do the job. : )
  • It's always the little things :D
  • As long as you are there to fix them, I don't mind the little things. There is always a walk around. Gods, how I love the node system!!!! An amazing time saver. How did we ever live without it? : )
  • In other words--when

Ich brauche einen Arzt

thank God you are there--you always fix things up. : ) I hope that reads right. : )
  • edited January 2015
    Hi, Gil. I appreciate the new update that allows you to change the player's defense attribute and I use it now instead of a variable to change the player's defense attribute: choices are Human, Trollblood, etc.

But---in the Menu Screen for displaying the stats, the canned choice is whatever you put there and I can't get the display in the Stats screen to change. So Human always shows up even when I change the defense attribute to Trollblood.

And if I check show all---all the defense attributes show up but the player has no way of knowing which is his defense attribute. Any thoughts? Am I doing something wrong?

I give the player an item depending on which race he is but it would be great if whatever race he is and that race alone would show up in the stats menu.

Thanks as always for any help. : )

The only way I can think to do this --imho--is now that there's a change defense attribute step to be able to change the value of that attribute and I can't find any way to do this.

In other words I could set them all to 0 at the beginning and then change the defense attribute to trollblood and change the value of that attribute to 100 instead of 0 while leaving the others at 0.

But I see no way to do that. Unless I'm missing something.
  • There are two different aspects to defence attributes.
    - the defence attribute values of the player influence the damage he will do on other combatants with the various defence attributes
    - the defence attribute ID's of the player define which attributes the player has, e.g. race human, size medium, etc. > they influence the damage others will do on the player (i.e. they define which of their defence attribute values will be used)

In HUDs, the Defence Attribute element will display the defence attribute values, the Defence Attribute ID element displays the attributes of the player (human, medium, etc.).
  • Thanks so much for clarifying that! : )
  • This works perfectly now. :) Thanks!
  • edited January 2015
    And more importantly for me as we try to deliver a world where you can be immersed in the world and the story-- using status forks in dialogues I can now check the player's race and add some sassy and saucy and irreverent dialoguee. : )

Like " Stinking, thick-eyed, foot licker of a troll."

Players like insults it seems. : ) It heats up the adrenalin leading to the impulse to want to fight something. : )

Thanks again Gil for that update. : ) And for helping me figure out how to use it. : )