edited March 2015 in ORK Support
I'm using a real time battle system but two strange things seem to be happening:

When an enemy is hunting me using move AI it will switch to other movement behaviors such as Idle or Waypoint when I my player moves far away from him on the map. The 'Target lost' interval is really large so that shouldn't be losing the target. Also, it happens basically immediately, and doesn't seem to be consistent over distance. That is, sometimes I'll move, say, 100 world units away and the enemy will go into idle mode, while at others i can move 200 world units away and he continues chasing me. In addition, if I enable random movements under Waypoints, they will happen while the AI is chasing me, so that the enemy's path to me will be rather random (e.g. he'll move toward me but take frequent random turns along the way).

The second issue is that while in Hunting mode, enemy will often just run in circles at some location. So he'll start moving toward me, but at various parts of the map he will get stuck and just move in a small circle, even though he's not near any obstacles and not near the player.

I'm sure there's some setting I'm screwing up :)

Also if it matters, I'm using version 2.2.4 because it doesn't seem to be updated in the asset store just yet to 2.3.0
Post edited by Juryiel on
  • I'll need a test project for the first issue.

The 2nd issue is most likely the enemy being at the target position but not able to reach the exact spot (due to moving over it). You can solve that by using/increasing the Auto Stop settings in the move AI.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I tried massively increasing the auto stop distance and that didn't fix it. It seems that the hunter's target does indeed stop to update even when I move, so he is no longer tracking me, but why he's moving in a circle is beyond me. I sent an email about the rest :)
  • Haven't yet had a time to look into your test project - just a wild guess: try increasing the move range in Battle System > Battle Settings :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • That could be :) I think I checked most of those settings and set everything to absurdly high values just to be sure, but I might have missed something. Will check when I get home in a few hours if you haven't had a chance to by then.
  • Yeah teh AI range and move range are all something like 2000000000 so that should be good :) Battle range is low , not sure if that needs to be high, but I figured it didn't since this is a movement issue.

Also Move AI range under "Real Time Battles" is 10000000000000000000
  • Will look into it in the next days :)
  • Bump off the second page :D
  • Just to report that the latest version appears to have solved this issue. Now there is no getting away from Evil Pants if you get close enough to be initially seen by him, no matter how far you run :)
  • Ah, spoke too soon. Almost there, but not quite.

So this works if I don't enable random waypoint movement. In that case, the behavior will often alternate between 'Hunt' and 'Idle' when i go far away, but the Evil pants will still continue to chase me anyway, which is great.

But if I enable random waypoint movement too, rather than switching to 'Idle' when i move far away, it switches to Waypoint, and moves in a random direction. He'll alternate between Hunt and Waypoint and mostly eventually get to me, but won't run directly to me.

If I could somehow turn off Waypoint movement behaviors (or any other movement behaviors except hunt) upon detection that would be great.

The overall goal I'm trying to achieve is that:
    1. You need to get really close to an enemy to be detected (say a distance of 20).
    2. Once detected, the enemy will chase you as long as you are within, say, 2000 units of space
    3. If you get farther away than 2000 units, the enemy will go back to his spawn location.
  • Naturally, he will use random waypoints when going from hunting to idle. The problem is going back to idle in the first place - during hunting, he should only hunt.

Can you send me a new test project - this time please make it a Unity project with your whole scene setup to test.
  • Well, before this update, when he would go into Idle mode, he would just stand still. When he was hunting he also had a propensity to lose the target and run in circles about a spot. Now, even though he goes into Idle, he still keeps coming after me, and he never gets 'stuck' running in a circle when hunting. So definitely a huge improvement. I sent my project so you can see :) Thanks again!
  • Any update on this? :)
  • Not yet :)
  • This did not seem fixed in the last release and not mentioned in release notes for current release so.... bump! :D
  • Sorry, I think I've deleted the test project already - can you send it to me again? :)