edited February 2014 in ORK Support
Hi there! I've gone through the tutorials, and I'm using real time battles. I use a first-person based view, largely using the First Person character controller from here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/14474

When I move into the battle area, the enemy comes to me and starts attacking. However, between each attack, it does a 'loop' around my player - like it runs a quick circle around it. It should (hopefully) just face the player and continue attacking. I think it might be going back to its patrol between attacks, but I'm not sure. Any ideas on this?

Thanks!
  • Can you send me your ORK project (Assets/ORK Framework/ORKProject.asset) to contact@orkframework.com?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Another one had a similar problem, most likely the same bug - try using Target Position Check intervals above 0, e.g. 0.01.
    The move AI does a wrong time check (checking time > 0 instead of time >= 0), resulting in intervals of 0 not updating the target's position ...
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Just sent the file but I will check that now, thank you!
  • I've tried changing Check 0 of Target Position Check to 0.01, 0.1, and 0.2, with no change :( The enemy will approach my character, attack, then do a loop or two around my character. It moves pretty quickly so it's hard to tell, but I think it tries to attack again during the looping around.
  • edited October 2014
    I seem to have a similar problem---especially sometimes when my health drops to 0 instead of dying the enemy circles endlessly around me.

Where can I find this "Target Position Check Intervals" setting? Thanks. Am also using Real Time Battles and First Person.
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • The setting can be found in Move AIs, but I don't think that's really your problem, more a result of you not dying ...
  • I had a similar problem with combatants looping around me during RT battles, and solved it by adding a box collider(trigger) around both the combatants prefabs. I think it uses the radius of that for the stop distance.
  • edited October 2014
    @gil---I can die now if my player does nothing. If I attack the enemy, when my health is 33 I freeze and the enemy thinks I'm dead and just circles around me.

@matzart---I'll try that thanks!!
  • edited October 2014
    I solved the circling problem by putting an interaction controller --sort of --on the enemy--a box collider with trigger enabled and slightly increasing that Move AI setting. I also made the player's Interaction Controller slightly larger---which is going to cause me problems navigating through my dungeons I think--especially the doors.

This removed the circling problem.

I think there must be some problem here in Real Time Battles with the circling effect because the box collider shouldn't be necessary should it?

@matzart--just out of curiosity-- do you use a battle menu? And how do you select which enemy you want to attack? Thanks.
  • The interaction controller shouldn't have any influence on that - you probably should rather check the Box Radius of your combatants, this is used to calculate distances between combatants (as long as you don't use Ignore Combatant Radius).
  • What should the size for the box radius be? I increased it now to 3 but afraid to take the box colliders off my combatants until you let me know what a safe size is---and will this box radius only show up in battle? Or is my player going to be fatter going through doors. : )
  • @matzart--just out of curiosity-- do you use a battle menu? And how do you select which enemy you want to attack? Thanks.
    No I wasn't using a battle menu, I had attacks linked to buttons, that used damage dealers/zones. So it used range to determine target(s)

Also the size of the box trigger wont effect walking through doors or anything, niether should an interaction controller, if you uncheck the trigger checkbox it will, since it will then collide with stuff.
  • Thanks for the information. : )

How do you link a damage dealer/zone to a button? My attack is linked to a button. Using first person. Was wondering how to use damage dealer zones with first person. That sounds like a good idea but don't know how to do it. Thanks.
  • The Box Radius isn't really a box/collider around a combatant, it's only used for calculating distances and ranges. The correct size for it depends on the size of your combatant's game object and should be around the same size as a collider around it.

Linking damage dealers to buttons is done through attacks that acitvate them, as shown in the game tutorials. In first person, you'd need to e.g. use equipment spawners to display weapons with damage dealers or spawn prefabs for your spells (e.g. a fireball with a damage dealer).
  • Where is the setting to use range to select a target?

And how can I use an equipment spawner with first person---could you just point me in the direction of where to read about this--I did a search that didn't turn up anything.

Going to try to use damage dealers for battle. Thanks.