edited August 2015 in ORK Support
I understand grid-based controls must be handled through Unity, so with that:

1. How should Move Events be utilized to ensure it will function properly with grid-based movements?

2. Can ORK handle grid-based telegraphs? By telegraphs, I mean grid squares that show how far a unit can move, or for targeting enemies.

3. What about targeting restrictions? For example, not being able to attack an enemy with a ranged attack through an obstacle, such as a wall.
Post edited by Griffin on
  • 1) Move events are mostly used for moving the notification texts around and control idle behaviour for move AI during waypoints.
    In general, using the event system with your grid based movement depends on how it's set up. You'll in any case use the function steps to e.g. call a function on your grid movement component to tell the game object where to move.

2) That should be possible, e.g. using an ability for a move command with a status value or variable that tells you how far you can move. Selecting where to move and moving there would be done in the event system (calling functions of your grid movement components).

3) That can get tricky, but there are targeting conditions and using raycasts for targeting in abilities and items.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • 1. So I basically create a function that contains the grid coordinates that the object can move to? Is that how it works?

2. Got it. I suppose I would have to add grid graphics to work in unison with the variables.

3. I figured raycast would be needed.

I suppose I'll need to study up on how to make the functions.
  • edited August 2015
    Would you be willing to include a Grid-Based Turn-Based Battle System through commissions? Personally, I don't trust myself quite yet in the scripting department!
    Post edited by Griffin on
  • edited August 2015
    1) Really depends on how your grid system works. You could e.g. use raycast object to allow the user to click somewhere and check if that's a valid location on your grid.

2) You'd need to tell your grid somehow to mark those tiles that can be walked by the combatant due to the number in the status value or variable.

Sure, I'm open for commissions for that, just send me an email with the needed details :)
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Great! Sent it!
  • I have always loved to do something like that in ORK, and i think it would be really stressing using only the framework at the moment. But while you speak with GiL in private, why don't you try to use Makinon for grid movement? If you don't need a specific battle setting like turn-based, i suppose you could handle almost everything with Mak-Ork integration: in Makinon you can handle grid- movement from what i saw (2D roguelike) should be an example, and with Ork the rpg-side... It is just a suggestion but it is how i would try to set up such a system. :)

Ps: can't wait for seeing first grid-movement battle in Ork, it would be amazing, so if i can help i would be pleased to. ^^
  • It would be most helpful if you did support it with me. I haven't dabbled with Makinom, so wasn't sure!