Hello!

1) Is it possible to block HUD depending on scene, like using scene name in display condition?

2) Considering a 2D rogue-like, could it be possible somehow to light only tiles adjacent to player? Like tiles at 2 unit distance completely light, 3-4-5 distance with different shadows, after 5 completely dark? I am trying to figure a system like that built with Makinom but i am not sure where to start.

3) Is it possible to check if there is an object in such a position? I quiet understood the random placement at level start, but i would like to spawn enemies even after X turn, so i want to prevent them spawning in not "occupied" tiles... Like "if there is no blocking layer tile" the spawn can succede, if not i will make a check for another position...

4) I set up a game with ORK, the plugin call a simple ORK game over event when food (like in tutorial reaches 0). Consider i am using a RT battle for the whole scene: when the player is killed (HP = zero), i get the text "player dies" and the Main scene is loaded, instead if the food reaches 0, and Makinom calls Ork event with game over, i get no text (but i suppose that is normal) and the Main scene is loaded with black screen and no menu. Any tip about integrating the same game over with both framework?

I forgot other ones, i will post them later. :D
  • edited September 2015
    1) set a bool and change it with a auto start machine on scene enter

2) pure math and material change plus a way to set a texture so many units out in a grid.(i think this is what you mean im not to sure .. last part is basically using a texture of some sort or even decals as a way to highlight the ground around the player)

3) check for collision and or you can store enemies position in to a vector 3 and then when they die you can clear the vector 3 this way when spawning you can ignore certain positions.(by checkign the positions with other vector 3's so they dont spawn in the same place)

4)depends on what yoru using for the main program for back ground stuff ork for statuses values and stuff would make more sense here so what you can do is get all your hp and hunger stuff from ork and store them into the makinom variables and use those to to determine game over take out anything else that reffrences to the makinom game over if you want ork to handle it (i think this is what your talking about) edit you can also check if hunger is <= to 0 and start a ork event that sets hp to 0 or add a status effect that will damage the player over time untill they eat something. lots of ways todo this so just pick one thats works best for your game.
    Post edited by wtyson on
    new website can be found here http://www.fore-loregames.com

Follow the game Development on Twitter https://twitter.com/Fore_Lore_Games

or check out the face book page here https://www.facebook.com/ForeLoreGames
  • Additionally to what wtyson said:

1) You can also create a game state for this and change the game state in the scene's you want to show/block the HUD using an auto machine.

2) There are different ways to find the objects you want, e.g. searching for them within range or using ray/shapecasts.

3) Best just make a ray/shapecast (e.g. checking the position using a Point shape like in the 2D platformer example) for that position - if there's something with a collider, it's something that blocks it (or an item).

4) Whatever stuff you want for the game over, you'll have to do that in your schematic or ORK event. The Game Over step just loads the game over scene and displays the optional game over choice.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks a lot for your inputs!

I will have a look in depth to what you wrote and i will ask further explanations if i need them. :)

5) I have another doubt thou: is it possible / which is the best way to store position of one kind of object (maybe found with name/tag?) and after that spawn one object in an available position? I am thinking about storing all floor tiles and check if the random position is inside one of them (to not spawn an enemy out of the map).
  • 5) If it's just positions, you can store them in a Vector 3 variable list - like in the 2D roguelike example when randomly generating the level.
    If it's objects, store them in a Global Objects list. You can have multiple found/global object lists by separating them with keys/names.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • 5) I suppose i will need just positions, so Vector 3 would be fine. ^^
    How can i check if a random position is on the list? I would like to call a random position and to check if it is amongst available ones, to spawn the object there. Which is the best way to achieve that?

6) Another question, this is a part of a script i will use for movement
    public void SetInput(Vector2 input)
    can i activate it through Makinom with functions set?

Thanks for your help GiL. :)
  • 5) Use a Check Variables step to check the distance between the stored values and your position. You'll need to iterate through all values of the list by using another variable as the index and increasing it until the list is finished (there's a Vector 3 List Count value type for using the number of elements in a list).
    It'll work similar to how the 2D roguelike went through setting up the level.

6) Yes, use a Call Function node for that and add a Vector 2 parameter. SetInput would be the function name, the class name is the name of your script's class.
  • Thanks a lot!

You two really helped me so far. :)

I have some more questions thou!

1) How can i store a local Vector 3 variable in a local variable list and check if the new vector is present or not? I am trying to store movement direction (consider 2D roguelike as example) till the spot is free, so i was thinking about adding directions till i find one with empty space, but i think i got lost. :D

2) Maybe this is not so Makinom related, however.... How is it possible to have the game screen divided with the actual game on the upper part and the controls/GUI in the remaing black part? Like having the scene of the player in the upper part of the screen and controls in the bottom, but without overlapping the scene.

Thanks. :)
  • 1) There's currently no easy way to do that. You'll have to go through all values in the list and check each value. Will add a new step to make this easier in one of the next updates :)

2) This can be done through the camera's Viewport Rect setting.
  • 1) Thanks a lot. ^^

2) Oh nice, i will look into it!