Does anyone have a good example of how to animate an archery event? I have an archer who is drawing an arrow from his quiver, and then pulls and fires his bow. The problem is that I can't seem to get the missile prefab to spawn in the right way:

- Spawn the arrow with the fletching end in the right hand, and stay attached to that hand as it passes through its animation until drawn back
- Then move that prefab from the right hand to the target.

Currently, this prefab spawns at his feet, and immediately starts moving towards the target. I can offset this spawn to raise it to the position of the bow, which is fine, and, honestly, will work if I speed everything up enough, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight in how they might do this.

I've tried defining the path of onChild to use Armature/Root/Spine.01/Spine.02/UpperArm_R/ForeArm_R/HandR, but this still just spawns at his feet.

Also, any good tips on how to have an arrow arc through the air, rather than moving in a straight line? I could use this for spells as well!!

Any guidance would be appreciated!

-- chainsaw --
  • If it spawns at the feet, it means it couldn't find the child object and spawns at the parent object. Make sure the path is correct (also upper/lower case).

More complex movement can be done e.g. through the Curve Move step.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Great, thanks, GIL. One question:

If my character is an Orc, and the path through to the object is:

Armature/Root/Spine.01/Spine.02/UpperArm_R/ForeArm_R/HandR

Do I need Orc at the front of that? Or Orc(clone 1)? In other words, how far up the chain to the parent actor do I have to go?

Thanks for the feedback! I'll investigate curved move!

-- chainsawpenguin --
  • A path to a child object always starts with the first child object, i.e. you don't add the name of the root object.
    I'd need to see the hierarchy of your game object to tell you if your path is correct :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!