edited November 2015 in ORK Support
Hey....

When I was updating unity to accomodate the 5.2 requirement on Ork 2.5.6 then I noticed that I got Unity 5.2.1f installed. When I am using Ork now I often get Unity to crash... especially when I am about to save the changes, which is highly annoying.

Any idea what may cause this?
Post edited by gamingislove on
  • Ok now it crashes every time I try to save when I have done changes to a combatant...

Feels like it is either:

a.) Unity 5.2.1f instability issues along with Ork
    b.) Ork not fully supporting the 5.2.1f version, since I was indeed aiming to have only 5.2

Uploaded the dmp and log for your info:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=36D25D1622EA79AE!1504&authkey=!ALIuYXvSoT8zKzk&ithint=file,rar
  • Tested it and had no crashes so far - your log also hints at nothing related to ORK.
    The log says something about an access violation, maybe check if you have the rights to change the ORK project or event assets in your project.

Are you doing any specific changes that cause that?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Well infact it seems like I crash when I am making a copy of an existing combatant and then modify it and once I click on save then it crashes.

Has happened 5 times sofar...

I will make sure to do a restart of the computer too to clear stuff up completely.
  • Hi,
    I have got the same problem, that my new unity version crashes, after updating both. But I do not really know where the problem is. It is also an access violation, and I think we both have the same problem.

With the orginal ork-demo I don't have any problems. And in my case unity crashes at the beginning (after clicking Start game). I disabled nearly everything after the main menu screen (except the hero spawning)

But it is also hard for me to find a solution.
    I am using 2 major plugins (Online Maps, and ORK), with some others (3D models,...). Both work independent without problems.

I thought that I should downgrade both versions back for this moment, but even that didn't solved my problem. :D

I also thought that this has something to do with the new-gui system. because i had problems with unity 5.1.2 and ork 2.5.4, so I upgraded both (5.2.1f and 2.5.6). The crashes comes now everytime. I switched back to legacy-gui, but no chance to get this fixed. Sometimes it didn't crash, but only if I start a other unity project first (eg. ork-demo), and then switch to my ork-game and start that one.

Hope there is some information which is useful for you guys.
  • What OS are you working on?
    Also, did you check your file permissions on the ORK project file?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited October 2015
    Windows 8.1

Yes I have the full access to the project file.

But I have new insights. After hours of playing around with settings (ork, other assets, unity), I started to only spawn the player. Even that failed. So I reassigned this combatant to a new prefab (the brown pant from tutorials). I restarted unity. And now I got no crashes. Then I stopped playing. I activated the script offline which is spawning my enemy-combatants at the beginning of the game. It crashes again.
    So I also reassigned them to evil pants. And it worked again.

I switched now back to my 3D model and thought that it will now crash again. But that was not the case. Now my game works with the previous used prefab.

I will also try that now for the enemies.
    Post edited by widnig89 on
  • Switching only some enemies from myPrefab to Evil pants, playing the game, and then back helped for me. Now all combatants work, and no more crashes.

I really do not know what the problem was. maybe the prefab or ork, or even unity? I am using the prefabs from honeti (skeletons and fantasy hero package from asset store)
  • edited October 2015
    Same here 8.1 full access to the ork file.... but for me it basically only happens at certain points like I mentioned with the Combatants... however I tried alot of stuff with the GUI elements yesterday and no problems at all.
    Post edited by thrilled on
  • Anything in the Unity forums about frequent crashes?
    Not running into that at all, but I'm on Windows 7.
  • edited October 2015
    I haven't had any problems either on Mac or Windows10.

Except on Mac sometimes I have random crashes unrelated to anything but Mac. I always recover without any problem.

I think if you have crashes it's more related to Unity and not ORK--they have some things they have to work on.
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • Might be so that it's unity issues... the weird thing is that it basically just as soon I do something with the combatant when I get the crash... but again I will do some more careful testing during the weekend.
  • edited October 2015
    Well rebooting the computer seems to have solved the problem for me at least.

** Edit ** Or not.... now it crashed again *sigh* it's definitely happening when it's involving the combatants for me... now I copied the combatant and saved.. worked! Then I was adjusting prefab and sounds for the attacks and saved = crash!.
    Post edited by thrilled on
  • You could try sending a bug report to Unity. They do respond. But it's a pain to upload the project. Still, it might be helpful.
  • ORK relies completely on Unity for saving the project - it's just an asset that's saved. There's no external file system access or anything going on (unline e.g. when saving save games to a file).

I'd guess it's a Unity issue, maybe only on Windows 8.1 - if you can send me a (small) Unity project where it's happening on your end I can try with that.
  • edited October 2015
    Strange, Windows 8.1 Pro here and no crashiness with the new version.

Although... there was one scare where my project file became corrupted and I had to delete my library folder, let everything recompile, and then loaded a backup of my ORK project file from the night before.

Might be related?

EDIT: Actually, I'm getting some odd crashes with 5.2.1 even when I'm not doing stuff with ORK, so it is probably just Unity related.
    Post edited by Kirb on
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames