So, I like Makinom. I've only given it a cursory glance and tested some of the tutorials. Which, btw, are not necessarily the most newbie friendly because they don't actually explain what you are really doing and why. Not really an issue to me, but something to keep in mind, considering most of the market is "non-coders".

That said, to the question I had.

I want to make a game that relies primarily on UI. Basically something you could make with VB/C# and Windows Forms/WPF. You can think of maybe something like Football Manager games, if that doesn't say anything. Basically, a lot of buttons, static images. And most importantly, it's event driven system just like the old school windows forms. So nothing at all happens unless you press a button (or a shortcut key) that makes things happen.

I want to use the uGui for this because it's flexible and I couldn't make heads or tails out of the intergrated Makinom gui system (that's a lot of dialogs and things just to get one button out...).

So my actual questions is: How would you set up this kind of game system with Makinom? What machines are the bare bones needed for the uGui integration, and roughly how to use them?

Also, as an related question, if I want to import a ton of text from external file(s) in to a uGui element, how would I do that within Makinom? I haven't even looked in to that, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

As a side note, I could just dive in and get frustrated a lot, but I figured I'd ask for a heads up.
  • Yes, that's possible. If you want to build your UI outside of Makinom, you can use Animation Machines to start them on UI events, e.g. for the On Click of a button.

In your UI component's inspector, add an event (e.g. On Click for a button), select the game object with the animation machine component attached (e.g. the button itself) and select one of the AnimationEvent functions: AnimationMachineComponent > AnimationEvent
    The selected start type must be enabled in the machine component (e.g. when using AnimationEventFloat(float) you need to enable Animation Event (float) in the machine's settings.

You can also set up HUDs that start Global Machines when clicked.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks! That was pretty clear and easy. I kind of halfway figured it out before you answered, actually. The AnimationMachine component was a little non-intuitive, though, at least on a first glance. But mechanically I suppose makes sense.

Now I just need to figure out an elegant solution for loading text files into uGui text elements to make my life easier.
  • Well, there's currently no node for that (will add it to my to-do list), but you can use this code to read the content of a file into a string/text:

StreamReader reader = new StreamReader("path/to/file");
    string text = reader.ReadToEnd();
    reader.Close();
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!