edited March 2014 in ORK Support
Hi guys,

Quick question here. I have an event that is a dialogue that loads another scene where there is a battle. I have it storing the previous scene, and when the battle is over, I want it to continue the dialogue. I have it working so it returns to the stored scene after the battle, but I can't figure out how to make it so the dialogue continues. I tried showing the dialogue in the end battle step, but that only lets you have battle groups talk. Is there a way to have the original event so it comes back to it after the battle results?

thanks a lot.
Post edited by mattsnee on
  • A solution would be to set a game variable before starting the battle and have an Autostart type event in the scene that starts the dialogue if the variable is set.

Don't forget to remove/change the variable afterwards, or the dialogue will start each time you load the scene.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • ok, bear with me here...I don't really know what I'm doing.

i have set up a game object that autostarts the dialogue if the (string) variable is at 2. I've tested it and it works if the requirement for the variable isn't checked. now, I have set the requirements on the gameobject to autostart the dialogue if:

it's valid
    value type is value
    value is 2

now what's happening is after the battle, it's loading my scene, and then displaying the battle results in the bottom dialogue, but the additional dialogue I have set isn't coming up. Is it possible it is, but it's under the battle results dialogue? I guess that's a possibility. But I think have my variables wrong, since I'm not an expert on this stuff. also, my gamestarter is on this scene too. would that make a difference here? because I'm noticing after I click through the battle results, it resets my player at the start of the board again.

thank you for your time.
  • Enable Repeat Event on your event interaction.
    The autostart event will be blocked by the still ongoing battle end event from executing right at the start of the scene, so it needs to keep trying to execute the event :)
    You can use the Reenable After (s) setting to do the repeating checks every X seconds. And don't forget to change the variable at the end of the event, or this will keep repeating :D
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Okay, I'm close, I can feel it. But it's still not working. Here are my settings:

see what I might be doing wrong here?
  • Select Value in the value type of the variable key - unless you stored the key of the variable you're using in another variable :)
  • ah, it's still not working for some reason. I've been thinking up different solutions to doing this, but I wanted to show u my BAttle End Event and make sure I'm doing that right. Everything else seems like it should be working, but I wanted to double-check this.

Is that right? I could also put the variable change in the initial event that leads up to the battle, I'm not sure if that would make a difference.

thanks for you help with this.
  • Ah, I think I see the problem - you have Check Object Variables enabled in your event interaction.
    So, it'll check the object variables of the event's game object, but you set a global variable :)
  • it works!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!! Thanks so much for your help!!!