edited November 2015 in ORK Support
For my Mobile Game I cannot use the keyboard as input.
Instead I only want to do the actions with my finger.

With a HUD I know I can call a menu.

In the ORK-Demo the accept-key is the "Return"-key. But it is also possible to click through the menu via mouse/touch?

Currently I am working on the Inventory & Equipment menu:
This works really good from the demo, but now I want to call a submenu when clicking on an equipment/item. In this submenu I just want to display the name and description (works fine!), but only for a "Return"-Key.

If I am using the mouse-clicks. The submenu is not opened, this has to do because the Accept-Key ("Return") is set for the submenu.

But here is the point I am struggling with:
How can I just use my mouse/touch as a kind of accept key. I want to click with the mouse on the item-->potion, and then it should display the submenu.
Unfortunately when I am trying to use the mouse as the accept key, it does not take care of the mouse-position...so it does not matter which item i select, it only opens for the default selected item the submenu...

Hope someone can help me with this.

Dominik
Post edited by widnig89 on
  • Well, normal choices (e.g. items, types, etc.) can be used through click/touch on them without having the accept key use click/touch input.
    Using click/touch input for the accept key can result in unwanted behaviour and I wouldn't really recommend it.

I'd say it's best to add the option to open the sub menu on normal choice use (i.e. by selecting it through accept key or click/touch) instead of only using an assigned input key. I can add this in the next update.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thank you for the fast response.

Yes I would really appreciate this feature.
    I come up with this situation because I wanted to display my weapon/armor with the bonus stats they give (e.g. sword -> +1 strength, +1 life). If I am just clicking it is automatically equipped without the submenu and changes are only visible when already equipped.

With the submenu I can create a fancy window displaying the name and description. (And there are also the buttons "equip" and "use", which work out of the box --> very cool :)

Now I think of displaying the whole description of my weapons/armors, like bonus stats, etc. In the submenu I can set %n and &d for name and description. But here I have too set the description-text of each equipment to these boni manually. (e.g. "Fire Sword", "A fancy sword \n +1 strength \n +1 life")
    So, is there another (easy) way to display the stats of weapons in this submenu?

Thank you.
  • I'll change the click/touch behaviour in the next update - if the sub-menu is using the same input key to be called as the Accept key, it'll also open the sub-menu when clicking/touching a choice.

Also, if you want to select a choice before accepting it (i.e. 1st click selects, 2nd click on selected accepts), enable the Select First option in the choice settings of the GUI box.
    For displaying bonuses (beside the method shown in the game tutorials, where you're using a Combatant menu part with HUD elements to display preview values), there are Bonus Display settings in the Text Display Settings available in Menus > Menu Settings. Those settings define how bonuses will be displayed when using the %bonus text code in weapons/armors (e.g. descriptions).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • perfect:)

thank you very very much GiL

• please keep in mind that in Equipment-Viewer the "Unequip" button should not open the submenu (or maybe this makes in some cases sense?), but instead it should unequip directly.
  • edited November 2015
    How do you set up your Equipment Viewer? Just curious. I have a button the player taps to get to the Equipment screen--there you can equip and unequip easily by just tapping either the item to equip or the Unequip button to unequip an item--and I have a tooltip window that displays everything you'd want to know about the item you want to equip or unequip.
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • Hi,
    In your game: When do you display the tooltip. After you already equipped your combatant or before.
    If after, I don't want my users to equip everything to see a tooltip, because then the user has to look for the previous equipped item.
    If before, how did you do it?
    If you do it like GiL said, the "Select First" (so that the user has to click twice to eg. equip, use), your back-button / unequip button has also to be pressed twice. I am not sure if this a good solution for a mobile game with a small screen and pressing things twice to do something.

I tried now various things, and the submenu looked best for me (but atm this doesn't really work with mouse/touch input). With this solution I could click on equipment, by not equipping it. Instead a window will open with all necessary buttons (use, remove, cancel,...). I can also set the %bonus settings easily there,...
    ...so that's the reason why I chose this way.

but maybe you have another approach for the same solution?

• edited November 2015
    Also I get an Exception when displaying the description when %bonus is in a description of one equipment item.

I have a "Leather Helmet" with Description: %bonus.

In Menus > Menu Settings > Bonus Display > Bonus Text:
    I have just set now the: %sv
    The rest is never touched.

In the Submenu Settings I have in Message -> show title checked with %n
    and the Message Text set to %d.

So as far as I understand, the %d in the message text should reference to the %bonus text in the Leather helmet, right?

The problem is that I got this when only clicking on the Menu Item Equipment (the window where at first only the equipment parts are shown (no submenu).

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    ORKFramework.AttributeBonusDisplay.GetDefenceText (ORKFramework.StatusChangeInformation info)
    ORKFramework.BonusDisplay.GetText (ORKFramework.StatusChangeInformation info)
    ORKFramework.StatusChangeInformation.GetBonusTexts (System.String text)
    ORKFramework.EquipShortcut.GetDescription ()
    ORKFramework.ContentLayout.GetChoiceContent (IShortcut content, ORKFramework.Combatant combatant)
    ORKFramework.Menu.Parts.EquipmentMenuPart.CreateTypeChoices ()
    ORKFramework.Menu.Parts.EquipmentMenuPart.ShowTypes ()
    ORKFramework.Menu.Parts.EquipmentMenuPart.Show ()
    ORKFramework.Menu.Parts.EquipmentMenuPart.Show (ORKFramework.Menu.MenuScreen s)
    ORKFramework.Menu.MenuScreen.FinishOpening ()
    ORKFramework.Menu.MenuScreen.Show ()
    ORKFramework.Menu.MenuScreen.Show (IEventStarter starter)
    ORKFramework.Menu.MenuScreenItem.Selected (ORKFramework.Menu.MenuScreen origin)
    ORKFramework.Menu.MenuScreen.FinishClosing ()
    ORKFramework.Menu.MenuScreen.Closed ()

Is this a bug?

If I disable the %bonus on the Leather Helmet. There is no exception, instead the submenu is opened (by clicking accept-button)

• edited November 2015
    In my game, I display the tooltip when you click on an item that you have in your gear.

I'm on mobile and have an icon you tap on to display different categories for your player like Loot, Gear, Abilities, Status etc. then when you tap on one of those, you get a submenu that shows the icon for your player. You tap on that and get a list of categories for your Gear--like weapons, armor, belts, shields--if you tap on a shield there you get a tooltip that shows you exactly how that shield will affect your player's stats. Tap anywhere to close the tooltip.

Tap on another item like a belt that shows up in a category in your Gear and you get the tooltip for that.

To tell you how I did it if that helps you, I have to go into my settings. It's a little late here and I don't know if what I do would help you, but let me know. I can certainly go into my settings and try to put up a screenshot or something.

To unequip an item works fine for me.

I think you might be best waiting for gil on Tuesday when he's back. I'll look at your post again and see if I can help more but not sure. : ) Trying.

Edit: The item doesn't have to be already equipped to show the tooltip. It just has to be in your Gear.
  • edited November 2015
    My tooltip displays when you click on any item in your Gear submenu--that is your inventory of items like Armor, Helms, Weapons, Belts, Accessories like Amulets, Boots, etc. It doesn't have to be equipped to get the tooltip. But it has to be there--something you acquired somehow.

Going to sleep. : )
  • edited November 2015
    Thank you Catacomber for the willing to solve my problems. and good night :)

Best thing would be to play your games which are listed in your footer, but I don't have an iphone :/
    When we talk about "Gear", does this mean that these are the items which are already equipped or also in the inventory?
    And a question: If you display the tooltip, you have to click on it right? And what happens with this equip now, is it equipped then or not. When does it get equipped then? Is there a button in the tooltip window to equip it?

I've read the annoucement that GiL is not available until Tuesday, it is not a urgent problem

Due it is hard to speak about GUI Problems without seeing it, i am posting some screenshots describing my problem(s) :)

So this is my workflow
    1. Starting the game

2. Calling the Main Menu

3. Call Character Menu

4. Call Equipment for Combatant Menu

5. Call Right Hand Menu
    Question: Is it possible to display parts and equipments in just one column in the equipment menu?

6. Call Unequip

7. Call Fire Sword Submenu (Thanks GiL for implementing it)

8. Call Equip Fire Sword
    Question: Can I set the choice buttons to the bottom of the dialog?
    I have set it then to Position, but there is a problem when description is variable. So the buttons position depends on the above text. It would be really cool, when just the description has a scrollbar. So I can view a long description by scrolling up and down, but the Buttons (e.g. Equip, Use, Cancel) stay always the same position (=> at the bottom of the guibox)

9. Display the Fire Sword

• edited November 2015
    Gear is not just what is equipped in my game--it's what's in the player's inventory.

Yes, you have to click on it--that is on mobile--you have to tap on it to get the tooltip.

There's no button in the tooltip to equip it. You have to tap on an item that's unequipped to equip it.

If it's equipped it shows up in the left hand column. If it's unequipped it shows up in the right hand column under Unequip.

And if you tap on it in the Unequip--that is the right hand column, it gets equipped. For example, you have a sword in the left hand column--you want to use one of the unequipped weapons you have already in your inventory--they'll show up in the right hand side of your Gear menu and if you tap on one --that gets equipped and the now unequipped weapon shows up in the right hand side of the menu.

My parts and equipment are all in one column on one side--the left side.
  • A lot of "equip" words here, which gets really confusing :D

I don't get it I think, but wait: let's define a use case to see how your game handle that:

UseCase:
    - You get a new Weapon (e.g. Firesword)
    - it is now in your inventory
    - you would like to see the bonus settings of your new weapon.
    - but also you want to compare your new weapon with your current weapon to see which one is better.
    - by comparing them you decide to take the new weapon

My game:
    On the left hand side, there is my already equipped weapon displayed by the part box settings gui box.
    If I tap/click on my current weapon, the Equipment Box is opened for this part (Weapons) on the right hand side.
    Now I can see all my not-equipped weapons in the inventory.
    I then click/tap on the new weapon.
    So what happens now in my case
    either a) I can open a submenu to see details, but not to equip the new weapon
    or b) I can equip it immediately

if a) at least I can see now the details of the new weapon with an "Equip" Button in a new GUI Box, before deciding to choose it or not. (Another question would be to display at the same time the current weapon??)
    if b) it's too late now to compare the old and the new weapon right --> because it is already equipped?

So I don't get it how you display tooltips by tapping, but not equipping it. The only option I see is the "Select First" Option in the Menu Screens, but as described the reasons above, I don't want that :)
  • AND BTW:

When enable "Add Back" and "Add Unequip" and for both "First Element". The texts are mixed. So with "Back" it unequips my hero, and on "Unequip" I go back. :)
  • edited November 2015
    This is how mine works. I call my equipment menu Gear but for this I'll call it Equipment.

I have a button in the upper left hand corner. Tap that the menu opens. You see sub menus with icons for Inventory, Save, Equipment etc.

Tap the Equipmentbicon, a pic of the player pops up. Tap that and the Equipment menu pops up.

On the left hand side are categories like helm, armor, gloves, etc.

If I have something equipped it will show up on the left hand side in its category.

On the right hand side you will see only "Unequip" grayed out no Back button on the right hand side.

If I tap on equipped item, I get a tooltip and possible items I could substitute on the right.

If I tap on an item on the right I get a tooltip for that item and---

You are right-- it gets equipped.

I see the problem.