• Beta 6 released
    The 6th beta is available, the grid prefabs have also been updated - download them here.
    You can now also define deployment cells per faction, as well as override the deployment settings of the cell type in individual cells in the scene view.

The 2nd part of the grid battles gameplay tutorial is also available.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • The 3rd part of the tutorial series is here.
    The series is nearly done, we're only missing the battle AI setup to allow the enemies to move as well. Afterwards I'll add some extra tutorials for stuff like teleport grid battles and abilities targeting cells.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Beta 7 released
    The 6th beta is available, the grid prefabs have also been updated - download them here.
    There's a new setting for battle AI steps to exclude the user from ally/all target checks, as well as several fixes.

Also, the 4th part of the tutorial series is ready. This part will finish the basic grid battles setup - you'll be able to have fully functional grid battles by now.
    There are still some advanced gameplay mechanics waiting in upcoming tutorials :)
  • Awesome!
    In 7th beta there is some strange bug(or did I set smth wrong?) with unit deployment. First When I place player onto the player deployment grid cell, a blinking green cell appears in front of the deployment cell, afterwards I can basically place player on any cell on the grid, but when I click anywhere outside the grid the players initial position gets "Accepted".
    I recorded video to show what I mean
    I have checked the grid and none of the middle cells are deploy cells.
  • That's the orentation selection, as set up in the battle grid settings. After placing a combatant, you'll select the orientation the combatant will look into. This can be disabled in the Combatant Placement settings, to just place the combatants without selecting the orientation.
  • edited September 2016
    The 5th part of the grid battle tutorials is here - this time adding a new ability for targeting a cell instead of combatants.
    The next part will cover teleport grid battles.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • looks cool !
  • Looking great, GiL.
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • Loving the new system, just a quick question about current or planned features.

Is it possible to have variable ability ranges. For example, I would like to be able to shoot further when on higher ground and shorted on low ground.

If not, I think I might have to try and custom hack it in down the line. Ideally, a system where you designate a use range and then it calculates which cells are in the range at runtime (rather than a fixed mask), where each cell has a 'range cost' which can be modified by cell variables (e.g. height, cell type, enemy on cell) similar to how movement is calculated at runtime rather than a fixed distance.

This is the only feature I think you system is missing so far. Keep up the good work.
  • And here's the 6th part of the gameplay tutorials - this time focusing on grid battles in a different scene (aka teleport grid battles).

@dragosun
    That's something for future updates :)
  • edited September 2016
    Cheers GiL, I thought it might.
    Post edited by dragosun on
  • Hi all, I stumbled across ORK's grid system while researching how to make my own and am on the verge of just picking this up and integrating into what I have already done. But would like to ask before buying.

Will the system allow for something like in fallout 1\2 where you can explore a town with NPC's, interact with them as normal but then start combat and fight with them with no scene translations or character placements?

Thanks in advance and its great to see the successful commission of such a project, the marketplace is really lacking in the way of a solid trpg framework.
  • There's currently no grid available out of battle, if that's what you want. But you can display the grid and would probably just need custom player controls to do grid movement there.

Starting a battle and having the combatants on the grid right where they are, that's possible and would be set up in the battle start event. Instead of spawning the combatants (as explaind in the tutorials), you'd just use the Place On Grid node to place the combatants at the nearest grid cell.
  • Hi, thank you for the reply.

Currently going though the tutorials now using the free ORK version to check it out. Quite a comprehensive tool you have developed. Kudos.

Not an out of combat grid, in my case I am using a player that's controlled by a navmesh agent.

But so that you can run around as normal, interacting with the world/NPC's and going normal game stuff. Then once an enemy sees you (or you decide to attack someone), combat is initiated and everyone is nudged onto the nearest grid space. Once you kill all the hostile NPC's, free movement is given back to you and any allied/non hostile NPC's go back to their assigned location and carry on being merchants or whatever they were before combat.

Since enemies can be spread out, it would most likely mean that everyone shares the same grid in a scene which I imagine would be quite large.

A somewhat good example in this video (skip to 1 min)

• Well, depends on the size of your scenes - but they'd need to all be on the same grid, otherwise they wouldn't be able to fight with each other.