edited January 2016 in ORK Support
Bought ork framework in the recent unity sale and am creating my game..
One of my main problem is creating a character that suits my game style.

I would like to know if there is any way of using characters generated in UMA as main character in my game. I was checking out UMA 2 and it looks to solve the problem purchasing/creating FBX models for me. So i would like to know if UMA characters work with ork framework before i jump in to UMA
Post edited by gamingislove on
  • most character generators work, I'm using Fuse (by mixamo) and they work fine. there are many others. the best thing to do, honestly, is try it and see if it fits what you are looking for.
  • I imported UMA 2 asset to project i am building with ORK.

I generated a project in UMA 2 and then tried to set it up a player under the combatants.

I got the below error. If anyone has already integrated UMA with ork, please help me.

I created my characters using this UMA tutorial : UMA TUT

Error 1:

Adding Dirty UMA to a Generator that is not an active scene object, UMA generators must be active scene objects!
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object, Object)
    UMAGenerator:addDirtyUMA(UMAData) (at Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAGenerator.cs:15)
    UMA.UMAData:Dirty() (at Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAData.cs:822)
    UMA.UMAData:Dirty(Boolean, Boolean, Boolean) (at Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAData.cs:1049)
    UMAAvatarBase:UpdateNewRace() (at Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAAvatarBase.cs:131)
    UMAMaker1:GenerateUMA() (at Assets/UMAMaker1.cs:166)
    UMAMaker1:Start() (at Assets/UMAMaker1.cs:52)

Error 2:
    UMA Data
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object, Object)
    UMAGenerator:addDirtyUMA(UMAData) (at Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAGenerator.cs:16)
    UMA.UMAData:Dirty() (at Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAData.cs:822)
    UMA.UMAData:Dirty(Boolean, Boolean, Boolean) (at Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAData.cs:1049)
    UMAAvatarBase:UpdateNewRace() (at Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAAvatarBase.cs:131)
    UMAMaker1:GenerateUMA() (at Assets/UMAMaker1.cs:166)
    UMAMaker1:Start() (at Assets/UMAMaker1.cs:52)
  • If your UMA character is a prefab that ORK can spawn, there shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise you'll need to do some custom scripting.

E.g. when the player can change the appearance of the character, you'll need to somehow save those choices to recreate the character in a loaded game. The custom save data system can help here.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I think the "Dirty" errors are an issue with how you are building your character. It has been months since I worked with UMA but pre-UMA 2 you had to go through a process to save the character. I had this working with a customized UMAzing install working with RPG Kit (which also instantiates the player into the scene at runtime) and I didn't have issues with it. I think there are parts of UMA that have to be present in the scene already, or at least there did with UMA 1. It sounds like something in the way it was saved as a prefab wasn't done completely or maybe you have some things in the prefab that need to be in the scene. I know in conversations Joen has had in a group that I'm in, it sounds like they changed a lot of things about how UMA recipes and such are saved in UMA 2.

It will be awhile before I touch UMA again. Just not close to the point where I need character customization working yet. Too many other things to get working.. heheh But what I would try to figure out is if there are certain things in your prefab that could be pulled out and put into a UMA manager type game object within your scenes and try that. I haven't gone through Secret Anorak's tutorial series yet, but it bookmarked in my playlist. May be a good question to bring up in the UMA thread in the unity forums, maybe with a screenie of your player prefab you are trying to instantiate into the scene. :)
  • Btw, there is a guy named Jaimi that is building a new character system tool for UMA2 that has a thread in the Unity forums. At this point it is free and I have a friend whose team has integrated it into their project (not an ORK project, but it lets me know that the UMA code is good) and he seems to support it pretty well in the thread. I have downloaded it to take a look at later. My current thoughts are to have it in a scene all on its own to create, customize, and save the UMA character and then have the game scenes running ORK use that prefab. Again though, without actually digging into it I'm not sure what kind of special stuff I might have to do to get it working, but at least it is some decently supported code that you can grab for free and try out. Jaimi seems to be fairly active in the UMA community. I'm seeing him posting in the UMA thread and Will B's character model threads pretty often. :)
  • Shawn67 said: have it in a scene all on its own to create, customize, and save the UMA character and then have the game scenes running ORK use that prefab
    That's the only way to put UMA2 into ORK as far as I know, that's how I'll do it.
    I'm a fan of UMA2 (and also DKUMA2) because it's a super-advanced system at its core, but it's also an undocumented mess which is the real price of being free as in beer.
  • I already tried creating UMA character in a different sceen and create a prefab for it to use in ORK sceen. But the character comesup invisible. I can move him around but he comes up invisible. I cant see the body of the character in the Ork sceen.
  • edited January 2016
    The author of DK-UMA is asking in another thread if we'd like a bridge. If you're still interested you can let him know. : ) I'm pretty excited about that. (Corrected--thanks Shawn67)
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • Not the author of UMA.. It is the author of DK UMA. I haven't looked at it personally, but looks like it is an app that makes UMA integration a little easier. Takes care of some of the coding required to actually use UMA in a project.
  • Shawn67 said: Not the author of UMA.. It is the author of DK UMA.
    Well, DKUMA2 is way more powerful than UMA2. Not just in usability, but flexibility and options. I wrote a 5 star review back then on the asset store: the developer deserves all our support.
  • Well, DKUMA2 is way more powerful than UMA2. Not just in usability, but flexibility and options. I wrote a 5 star review back then on the asset store: the developer deserves all our support.
    Not disputing this. It would be great seeing one of the UMA tool developers build integration for ORK. Was just pointing out this wasn't the UMA developer but one of the UMA tool developers. :) Totally great to see one of them looking into developing ORK support.