I'm brand new to Unity, and even newer to the ORK framework. The tutorials are quite awesome, but as I'm working through them, I have noticed some minor issues. Here are the workarounds I've used that deviate from the tutorials slightly:

Tutorial 21: Battle Events 1

Problem: The enemy character would correctly move to target, attack, and move back to base. As soon as my character attacked, he would correctly move to target, and nothing else would happen (no damage, no attack, nothing).

Solution: As GIL pointed out, my box radius was not correctly set. Setting it to 1 for Brown Pants fixed the issue!

Tutorial 23: Battle start events

Problem: In the first encounter, the camera would do the crazy zoom, but then be completely stuck and wouldn't reset to the battle view camera.

My workaround: In the simpleStart event, the wait node just after the change camera position node has a wait value of 0.5. Changing this value to 1 corrects the issue and the camera now does what it's supposed to.

Tutorial 26: Displaying equipment

Problem: No characters display any of the weapons in their hands.
Tutorial text has been corrected!

Tutorial 27: A Simple HUD

Problem: This results in a StackOverflowException: The requested operation caused a stack overflow. ORKFramework.StatusValue.GetMinValue () in the console. This seems to happens in Status Element 1 with List enabled and Use Bar enabled. If these two settings are enabled, and you click on the Open in GUI Editor button, it crashes Unity.

Solution: In Status Values I had accidentally set MP to have a Max Status Value of MP. This caused the issues above, so if you are crashing Unity or getting these exceptions in the console, you may want to check the max values for consumable statuses!

It could be that I'm half retarded and missed something else entirely, but in case any else runs into these issues, hopefully the above works for them too!
Post edited by kuolema on
  • edited March 2014
    I had the same problem with Battle Events 1 except I couldn't even get Evil Pants to attack. I tried your work around and now he attacks but still will not run back. Could you possibly upload your attack.asset event? I am thinking there is a problem between the new version of ORK and what is in the tutorial. I have seen a few cases where the menus in the ork editor did not match the tutorial exactly.

Edit: I fixed my problem. I followed the tutorial incorrectly.

I still have the same problem as you for Event Battles 1, though.

Also, after brown pants attacks, he runs back to a different point than where he started. Is this normal?
    Post edited by MarkRMichaels on
  • That could definitely be an issue with the attack asset. Here is mine:

attack.asset

If that doesn't solve the problem, you may want to double check your runToBase event, although it is extremely simple. Hopefully the attack asset works for you!
  • If a combatant runs to the target but nothing else happens, than it's most likely because he's still trying to reach the target, but stopped by the target being on that place.
    To fix this, either use correct Box Radius settings on your combatants (with the game tutorial resources that would be 1), or use the Secure Move option in your move steps.

The battle start event camera is most likely because the first camera fade hasn't finished when the 2nd camera change is made - as you've already noticed, an increased wait time (0.6 seconds should also work) will fix that.

The equipment viewer tutorial - yes, that's a typo, sorry!
    Already fixed it :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thank you very much, gamingislove! That worked for me.

Unfortunately, Kuolema, your attack event isn't working for me, and i created a new runToBase event to make sure I had it correct. I'm thinking I messed up something earlier in the tutorial series. Any idea how Waypoint and User Base are defined?
  • An additional problem I experienced is the positioning of combatants in groups.

Here is an excerpt from tutorial 16. battle prep :
    Player Spots

The battle spots for the player group.

Member 0: Standard Battle Spot Coordinates
    Set to X=-3, Y=5, Z=3.
    Member 1: Standard Battle Spot Coordinates
    Set to X=0, Y=5, Z=3.
    Member 2: Standard Battle Spot Coordinates
    Set to X=-3, Y=5, Z=3.

Enemy Spots

The battle spots for enemies of the player group. Add three enemy spots by clicking on Add Enemy Spot three times.

Member 0: Standard Battle Spot Coordinates
    Set to X=-3, Y=5, Z=-3.
    Member 1: Standard Battle Spot Coordinates
    Set to X=0, Y=5, Z=-3.
    Member 2: Standard Battle Spot Coordinates
    Set to X=-3, Y=5, Z=-3.
    Using these parameters, my combatants would appear on top of one another(obviously)

Is this a typo? Making the third x parameter 3 instead of -3 made the battle work perfectly for me.
  • Yes, that's a typo, updated the tutorial to the correct values :)
    Just make one of the -3 X values to 3 in the player and enemy spots.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks again for the support and for making what is begging to look like a great tool kit :D
  • MarkRMichaels - your characters still don't attack even after fixing the box radius or secure move option? Or are your issues fixed?

GIL - thanks! I'm still (slowly) working my way through the tutorials, so if I find something else, I'll edit the first post and let ya know, but everything looks awesome. Thanks for your hard work!
  • edited March 2014
    I made a major booboo that crashes unity. Updated the original post with info. It's a doozy if anyone else encounters it haha!
    Post edited by kuolema on
  • edited March 2014
    Oh, no, the box radius had solved that problem for me. But in the tutorial before I got to the part where I applied battle spots, when brown pants would attack and run to base, he would run back to a different position than where he started the battle. I did not know if this was normal or would cause problems later but since getting to the tutorial where I apply battle spots it has not been a problem.

Edit: Actually, there is another thread titled "Beta 16 - Battle Start Event tutorial" that addresses the issue. It is normal.
    Post edited by MarkRMichaels on
  • @kuolema
    Yeah, the status value is checking for itself to get the maximum value ... which is checking itself again ... and so on :D
    Sorry, that selection shouldn't even be possible, will fix that in the next update!