Hey everyone.

I'm looking for a good set of assets that work well with ORK Framework. i want the graphic style to be similar to bravely default or final fantasy 3 (the re-release for DS or iphone. i think steam as well). i want to be able to have dungeons like that from old zelda games (like link to the past) and visible enemies that go to a turn based fight (like in chrono trigger). the last thing im looking to do is create events that trigger different main characters, e.g. i have one character that completes this part of the story and the player now takes control of another character to accomplish the next stage of the story.

i hope i was specific enough, i'm just trying to find assets that will let me put this together will relatively little experience. I'm not too worried about the cost of additional assets, i just want whichever ones will help me accomplish this the easiest.

thank you everyone.
  • edited January 2016
    2d, right like Link to the Past? Or 3d like Link Between Two Worlds?

Kirb here has the most experience if you're setting up a 2d world. There are fabulous 2d assets in the asset store.

You can pass control from one heroic player character to another. You just have to set them up and use an event to substitute the new heroic character.
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • more like a link between worlds. i bring the zelda reference in mostly cause i want to be able to move blocks around to solve puzzles with switches and stuff like that.

if the project would be significantly easier to do 2d like link to the past that would be something i would look into without hesitation.
  • edited January 2016
    There are both awesome 3d and 2d assets in the asset store--it's basically what you want--I usually use 3d but have a lot of 2d stuff on my watch list in case I ever go 2d.

You can move blocks with switches etc. in ORK whether you do it in 2 or 3d. : )

What platform are you building for--for ios/android you need assets that work better on mobile.

great 3d assets--if you're looking at Steam you might prefer to go 3d--
    Do you need a toon style? CrossRoad_kimys has some great graphics---for something like a link type world for a player and npc's. But they are not anime style if you're looking for that. There are some graphics like that in the asset store.

manufactura 3d has some of the best top down assets in unity if you're using 3d and they work even if you're not using top down.

Bitgem has wonderful dungeon-building assets and monsters.

4toonstudio has monsters that can eat you in one gulp.

Shop3DSA has cool monsters.

Protofactor has fantastic monsters. So does Mr. Necturus.

Kalamona and Evil have excellent gui stuff and Kalamona has great 3d fx as well as 2d gui and some really nice, ferocious monsters. I have just about everything he ever made.

• edited January 2016
    Any standard-type asset, fbx file, particle file, etc. should work well with the ORK Framework--if you're looking for systems that enhance it---like a minimap asset or unistorm or something like that---I suggest you see what you can do with the framework first---most likely you can do everything you want, without buying stuff you might not even need. If you want to enhance it with other editor type assets--more and more people are making bridges for such extensions.

You can use legacy animations which I do or use Mechanim. There are ample tutorials here for using Mechanim.

But i suggest you get some really stellar assets from the asset store, follow the tutorials and see what you can do with plain vanilla ORK and then, if you want to enhance it further, take it from there. Most minimaps I've tried for example work fine with ORK.
  • i love the stuff from manufactura and Shop3DSA. i really like the toon style graphics from CrossRoad_kimys as well.

at this stage I'm looking to publish mostly on steam or just on a website, and maybe in the future release a mobile game of the same style but i can cross that bridge when i get to it but i did notice how manufactura had some stuff labeled as "mobile friendly".

and its going to be more top down like 2.5d i guess lol.

thank you so much for the help. I'm going to get some of the assets you mentioned so i can easily build maps and characters and just start working through every tutorial i can find.

thanks for the advise.
  • one last thing, do you know any good character/monster assets that go really well with the manufactura style. the cartoon style seems just a little off in comparison.

thanks again.
  • edited January 2016
    Protofactor and Mr Necturus. Also Maksim Bugrimov. Dexsoft Games also has some good monsters but I build mostly for mobile so they can eat my fps sometimes on mobile in my humble opinion but they're great for desktop. Dexsoft's environment packages however are really great on any platform. They are really beautiful.

Also Dogzer--I think some asset makers use his female mage at least in their demos. Arteria 3d also has some fine graphics.

In my humble opinion also Philipp Schmidt's Big Environment Pack is one of the best environment packs out there--he has both a desktop and mobile version.

It's possible to go crazy in the asset store--don't do that. Just add things as you need them.

It's better to start with a few assets, learn the tutorials here, and then build on that to make a full game. : )

• Thank you so much.
  • edited January 2016
    Just a tip--but I'm sure you already know this--don't copy any of the demos in any of the assets you buy--unless you change them---steam players in particular are always looking to challenge a developer that "flips" assets---as long as you use assets in your own way you are good to go.

I've never been criticized for "flipping" and I've made two games now with assets from the asset store. I always mix things up.

So many of the assets offered are so gorgeous. I'm sure you can find a way to put them in a game in your own way. I'm going to send you a pm.