• On another note, I'm looking at the tween assets in the asset store. It's a little confusing. Right now I think Lean Tween is a good choice.
  • edited January 2016
    I also found a really great free Inventory Asset with script that's helpful to me who wants to learn C# coding--that's not why I downloaded it but it is really helpful if you want to learn how to code something like that in C#--Inventory Master by Sander Buchheim.

I was looking for free graphics that would give me a 2d character graphic for my character whom you equip items on---not sure I'm explaining it right--and one that wouldn't look so masculine for my female players. Some of the ui graphics out there for a character inventory graphic are pretty beefy. This one gives you something not perfectly unisex but good enough. At least so far it's the best I've found.

I like ORK's inventory system --I'm not going to change from using it---but I'm always looking for graphics without having to buy them and am trying to learn C# so this was a real find.
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • Catacomber said: I also found a really great free Inventory Asset with script that's helpful to me who wants to learn C# coding--that's not why I downloaded it but it is really helpful if you want to learn how to code something like that in C#--Inventory Master by Sander Buchheim.
    that inventory is done in a bad way its not a good idea to use his inventory system it was also taken from other tutorials you can find any where its one of the reasons why he has it for free. its kinda of a mish mash of tutorials put together. there are more simpler ways to make a inventory system that dont require as much effort. And some of these methods allow for easier implementations with less coding and are more streamlined... i suggest learning how to use for loops properly and working with custom editor plugins once you learn these things u can create a system that is very streamlined. look up scriptableobjects as well.. theres tons of ways to go about doing inventory's then they way that guys does it.... this is all my own personal opinions but his methods of doing stuff is just dumb :p
    new website can be found here http://www.fore-loregames.com

Follow the game Development on Twitter https://twitter.com/Fore_Lore_Games

or check out the face book page here https://www.facebook.com/ForeLoreGames
  • edited January 2016
    Your comments are fair because you're trying to save me from learning bad coding practices I think---but you shouldn't assume the person you're talking to doesn't know something or isn't looking for something that you might not see.

The title of this thread is "useful" not "best" assets. : )

I think someone just learning Unity could get something out of this asset--It sets up and integrates a lot of things. It gives you an idea of what you can do with an inventory system---and then you can duplicate that in ORK's splendid inventory system. It shows you how a hotbar and inventory and crafting system can work together. So someone new to Unity and ORK has some idea what they might like to accomplish.

I was just interested in the code--but you assumed I had no coding background. : )

I'm not using his inventory system--I really like ORK's --I just wanted the graphics but since it's coded in C#, I thought I could learn something from it, good or bad.

I have no desire to replace ORK's inventory sysem--I just want to look at and study different people's code in C#. : )

• All I really wanted from him was his closer to unisex character shape so my poor female players wouldn't have to look at a muscular guy's shape for their character and figure they'd have to put their armor and helms and boots and stuff on that and not have something they could relate to.

I was just interested in the C# code to unravel it. : )
  • edited January 2016
    I redacted my post because it was misleading. I shouldn't post that late at night.
    Post edited by Wood on
  • @Wood, he meant, that there is a bridge for Inventory Pro and PlyGame with its corresponding Plyblocks (specific for Plygame, not even to be used with PlyBox product).

Here we are again talking about Inventories :D

IMHO ORK Framework has a very solid and robust Inventory database-structure, I won´t look outside. So, if it is lacking UI functionality (drag and drops, better UI presentation, etc..) that gamers are missing is a good opportunity to ask GiL for a commission base update or just join in a riot ;)
  • Jorish said:
    Inventory Pro has been build on an older version of plyGame, however the underlying elements haven't changed, so Inventory Pro still works with plyGame as it should.
    @RustedGames I took his initial statement literally, but it makes more sense he was referring to integration.
  • edited January 2016
    I know I'm missing something here. : )

I still think that free inventory asset I mentioned above is a useful asset (name of this thread) for someone new to Unity to download and see what can be done with an inventory/crafting/hotbar system on a very basic level---so they get an idea what they can do with a system like ORK. And it gives them some free graphics to try out. I never thought how I could co-ordinate inventory and crafting and hotbars and such stuff until I started using ORK and much after learning some things. It took me awhile to learn how to use a hotbar. And to drag and drop.

Some people who come here are new to Unity--and it's hard for them to visualize what they can do with Unity and ORK--apart from the tutorials which are great. So I still like that little free asset, dumb as it may be coding-wise. : ) I'm basically talking to myself--just ignore me. : ) I try to get excited about such things like a newbie because i know I'm just a few steps away from when I was.

• edited January 2016
    By the way--if anyone is getting the loadlevel is obsolete warning in scripts in your assets in the latest Unity version--the solution is to open the offending script in whatever you're using to read and save your scripts like Visual Studio and --(of course I imagine you've all already figured this out)---

if it's C#--don't know how to do this cleanly in javascript--

up at the top where you have code like

using System;
    using UnityEngine;

add this

using UnityEngine.SceneManagement;

right after those lines--

then where you might have code like this--

Application.LoadLevel(Application.loadedLevelName);

change that to this--

//Application.LoadLevel(Application.loadedLevelName);

so you know what you've taken out and can revert if you need to--

and underneath it add this line

SceneManager.LoadScene(SceneManager.GetActiveScene().buildIndex);

And of course, hit Save All.

It works for me after some searching to find a solution.

I love the assets I have and don't like error messages. : )

If you're using LoadLevelAsync--

add the line as above at the top and then change LoadLevelAsync to--

SceneManager.LoadSceneAsync;

• RustedGames said: has a very solid and robust Inventory database-structure, I won´t look outside. So, if it is lacking UI functionality (drag and drops, better UI presentation, etc..) that gamers are missing is a good opportunity to ask GiL for a commission base update or just join in a riot
    I agree that ORK has a robust and well thought-out inventory system, but do compare it to InventoryPro's functionality, flow and user-friendliness. (I won't go into details at this point.)
    But you guys are right that we shouldn't just wait for an InvPro+ORK bridge (I've been waiting for one for about a year) but ask GiL to expand the inventory system substantially, if possible. Is anyone else interested in such a commission?
  • I'm always interested in expanding ORK - what expansions to the inventory system did you have in mind?
  • @ Gregorik---Maybe start an independent thread with your question so people can see you're focused on who's interested in expanding the inventory system. I was interested to see that Inventory Pro has a Minecraft like crafting system--but I can do that through ORK events. : D
  • Catacomber said: Maybe start an independent thread with your question so people can see you're focused
    That's what I will do, let's hope folks will respond. (I need more time though, right now being sidetracked with a trip to Scotland.:) )
  • Guys terrain composer is on sale and i am planing to buy it. Just wanted to check if it works with ork out of the box or if there any problems there