• @karmik, yes, terrain composer works just fine with ORK, because.. well is for make terrains :P, it has really cool features like having a huge terrain split in several chunks for performance sake. Though be aware of the procedural feature when creating terrains at runtime I haven´t test it with ORK just yet.
  • edited January 2016
    Tks for the response. Well i want a tool to build good terrain :)
    Post edited by karmik on
  • I just picked this up also for the same reason so there should be enough of us here using it now that we can help each other if necessary.

I also want to use Gaia and it's on my watch list but want to learn how to use this first--I have the trial version of World Machine am learning also. I think they all can work together.
  • There are plenty of tutorials at the Terrain Composer youtube channel if you follow the beginner series were you can download the tutorial samples within the Unity editor you will quickly see the wonders of this component.
    I didn´t bother to buy Gaia when it was on sale because terrain composer meets my needs
  • edited January 2016
    Really like the simplicity of Gaia, it just looked a little easier and quicker to use. Meh, I still cant go past 50% off, such a sucker, Gaia may not come on sale for ages either.
    Post edited by Phesant33 on
  • edited January 2016
    @Phesant33----and @Wood---can you easily spawn a player and set up a battle area in a procedurally generated terrain and interact with objects there? Does Gaia work with non-procedurally generated terrains? Thanks. I've been able to spawn a player in a procedurally generated dungeon but interacting with objects there has been a bit hard. Just wondering.
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • @Catacomber Yeah the Gaia youtube posts show him spawn a capsule and run around in the level, doesn't show interaction per-say but it was just a normal terrain map, I would be very surprised by any issues appearing. Haven't done it myself yet, I've got a bit more of my new UI to go before I delve into TC/Gaia and RTP but I'll let you know what I get.

Slight side note, but anyone out there got any third party water shadders their happy with?
  • Phesant33 said: anyone out there got any third party water shadders their happy with
    I have the Alloy Physical Shader Framework 3.2: being a framework, it's almost an overkill, but very powerful. ShaderForge is in the same category.
    There's also Wet Shaders 1.1 which is now open source.
  • edited January 2016
    Gaia works wonders with ORK, theres still no support for multi tile terrain(yet, coming soon...apparently) but you don't really need it either.

I messed around with it for about 3days before starting my new project, as long as you don't use the FPS controller spawner that they give you a button for in the spawner menu its seamless. obviously you can use it if you set up ORK for that but, that's extra work, and I don't really care for FPS rpgs so I havn't tested that aspect.

As others whom are wiser and more capable than myself have already said, I also like UFPS if for no other reason than the easily assigned sound controller for texures.

@Catacomber For your Gaia question, You can just click 'new terrain' to get the controllers functioning, then delete what they generated and drag yours into the place instead. I tried that yesterday and it worked perfectly fine. -- Note -- I only tried this once, and it worked flawlessly, your results may vary...
    Post edited by paulgswanson on
  • edited January 2016
    @catacomber I onw GAIA and Terrain Composer, but I haven't used either yet. Personally, I am going to begin with GAIA, because it is reputed to be easier to use, and I have limited time to figure out 3rd part assets. Also, it is my understanding that GAIA uses ordinary Unity terrain, so it should work find with Ork.

Phesant33 I just purchased AQUAS for water. It's light weight, $25 and they have demo links to you can see it in action before you purchase. Also, it has underwater effects which I need.

Post edited by Wood on
  • edited January 2016
    @Wood--thanks. Let me know how you do with Gaia. It does look pretty easy--I'm just worried about spawning and interacting with npc's and items in the scene.

@paulgswanson--thanks for helping on how to swap out my own terrain if I use Gaia.

@Phesant33--AQUAS is on my wish list as is Ceto and Suimono. But AQUAS got a negative review for working on mobile so I haven't jumped on it. Am waiting for more reviews.

Ceto and Suimono are recommended for water by the guy who made Gaia. But Ceto is not recommended for use on mobile so it will sit on my wish list along with AQUAS for awhile. Suimono seems to work well for underwater going by the comments and on mobile.
    : ) The guy who made Gaia has a list of his GOTO's in the Gaia Unity thread. I put all of them on my wishlist.
    : ) I'll focus in on the water ones when I'm closer to working on water--right now focusing on terrain.

PlayWay Water System looks good but it's expensive and is in beta right now for mobile. I added it to my wish list but not sure if I'd actually spring for it unless it gets out of beta for mobile and goes on sale. : )

I have 40 items on my wish list--some of them are $10 or under--most of them are higher but I use it to keep me focused on some things I might want to do and to get the useful reminder from Unity when they go on sale. Some of them I'll probably never want or use--but am thinking about them.
  • @Gregorik , @Wood, @Catacomber, thanks heaps guys for the info. This thread was a great idea Cata.
  • edited January 2016
    UFPS is on sale. I'm interested in it for the controller and for how it animates first person melee weapons. I don't think it was an announced sale. I just happened on it.
  • Opsive and VisionPunk join forces for UFPS 2, knowing the effort opsive adds to support third party integration from his products (ThirdPersonController, Behavior Designer) for sure the UFPS+ORK will be in the plans.
  • edited January 2016
    For those that are interested in Gaia terrain in ORK I'll be adding it as a scene tonight and post some sceenshots so you can see that it works very well.

Since I just finished the terrain design of my starter Island I wanted to give a quick run around in.

I am just using the default textures, trees, rocks and grass. Only real change I made was I duped several of the rock spawners(so they are spawned more frequently) and adjusted a few of them under DNA
    New settings:
    minimum scale is .5
    maximum scale is 20

Default settings:
    minimum scale is .5
    maximum scale is 1.5

Otherwise its vanilla. I'll posted the screenshot to here tonight so you can see. I was being pretty lazy and will likely adjust it a bit afterwards but this will show what you can do with about 3hours (My CPU sucks so Unity is really slow, or else it would have been much faster)

**EDIT**
    Here are the Shots i prmoised. This should give you a sense of what it is capable of with minimum setting adjustments.
    I have taken Shaded, and Wireshaded images:
    View post on imgur.com
    Also if your wondering...
    I have not included any grass at all.
    Post edited by paulgswanson on