• I'm very interested to see this. Thanks. I'm focusing on making better terrains right now and everything environmental.

@RustedGames--thanks for posting that. I think ufps can only get better. It would be interesting to see a real integration with ORK.
  • @paulgswanson--what version of Unity are you using? Those are some great shots. What did you use to form your terrain? The terrain's great.

Can you give a little more information on how you swapped your terrain for Gaia's? The mountain texture looks a little rougher than the others. Is that because of distance?

The shadows are great. Thanks for going to the trouble of putting these up? I'm intrigued.
  • edited January 2016
    @Catacomber

I am on the most recent version of Unity right now. Is that like 5.3f or something?
    So I formed my terrain shape manually according to a drawing I did of the basic landmass shape.
    You can draw it out manually like normal since the terrain is just a normal unity terrain with a few extra components, then use the stamper to jazz it up like mine.

I have started a Gaia tutorial thread for it so I won't spam this thread with it. :D
    http://forum.orkframework.com/discussion/2908/gaia-tutorial-terrain-generation-for-ork

As for the texture? Its the basic rock texture that come with unity terrain. I left it at default so you could get a taste of what vanilla would look like. So the only textures that were spawned were a mossy rock, rock1, grass, sand, and dirt. I have taken another look at it far away and up close again. Distance is definitely contributing to the blegh-ness of the mountains

This is why the mountains look tiled like that. I'm not really happy with them either, but it will be fixed later. I didn't modify elevation settings at all. but there is a way to say make a mountain in this way: Low elevation texture, mid elevation texture, and then say cap it with snow. But that deals with masks and curves. I'll cover that in the linked thread if I ever figure it out.

Since your focusing on Environments -- If you get Gaia Feel free to contribute to my tutorial with anything you find, I'll be happy update the primary entry with your learning's so that it will not be buried. I'm sure there are obvious things that I will have missed.

This applies to all of you as well.
    Gaia is great! But the documents are lacking, so lets try to put in some effort to make a great useable tutorial for it!
    Post edited by paulgswanson on
  • Anyone know of good isometric controllers that work with ORK2?
  • Griffin said: Anyone know of good isometric controllers that work with ORK2?
    Got a copy of Ultimate Isometric Toolkit, never used it coz I switched to 3D. Can check it for you if it works with ORK if you'd like.
  • edited January 2016
    Another Useful asset I have found is Probuilder!
    Its also a editor extension like Gaia and ORK, and I know it works with ORK just fine, it has worked flawlessly since the original ORK release.

Its a geometry builder that automatically UVs, and everything. Works great with UFPS as well (for those of you that are doing FPS rpgs!)

One of the greatest features of it is that it allows you to build geometry in the unity editor then export for refinement to your 3d program of choice. This way there is no guess work in scale or proportions. -> Something I have always had issues with when building models.

it kind of behaves a bit like the BSP geometry builder in Unreal4, cept with Unity! So you can quickly prototype a level. Then throw it at your level designers for some fluffing.

A great use I have found for it is building bridges where there are no existing assets that work for the case. You case quickly and accurately plop a cube down and stretch it as far as you need it then export.

*edited* Finally remembered the name of that crappy geometry maker in Unreal.
  • @Gregorik

Would appreciate it if you did!
  • @paulgswanson--thanks for the Gaia tutorial in the other thread. I have a copy of the free ProBuilder. It looks very useful. It also looks like it might be fun to use.
  • Yes, ProBuilder is on my shopping list.
    I grabbed the free version to try it out. Absolutely love it for dungeon building!
  • edited January 2016
    Talking about terrains--one of my favorite ios games is Nimian Legends by Protopop--it's open world exploration and other than Minecraft it's where I go to relax in my offhours.

Protopop has a lot to say about terrain creation. I liked his post here about puddles in Unity and he gives you some things to download. I haven't tried it yet but his puddles do look realistic ingame.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/the-secret-to-great-terrain-on-mobile.305899/#post-1994477

He links to a free asset called Resource Checker by the way that helps you check, well, resources. : )

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/resource-checker-free-list-texture-material-mesh-memory-use-in-scene.132008/
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • Griffin said: Would appreciate it if you did!
    @Griffin, just checked Ultimate Isometric Toolkit against ORK, they do work together without errors thrown. Make sure to get the latest v1.31 of the toolkit. I think it's the best isometric kit the asset store has to offer.
  • @Gregorik Great news! I guess I need to look into getting the toolkit. Now, you tested it for 2D, right? Anything special I need to look out for when setting it up in ORK?
  • Ultimate Isometric Toolkit which is today on SALE!!
  • Griffin said: Anything special I need to look out for when setting it up in ORK?
    Checked ISoToolkit with Ork again. Some (yellow) errors are thrown, but nothing dealbreaking. They're not optimized for one another, but that's business as usual.
  • edited February 2016
    Heard lots of people saying this is a good tool for level based games, but what about open worlds?
    SECTR COMPLETE

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/15356
    SECTR COMPLETE is on sale today! Down to 60$ normally 100$

This can stream Terrain AND objects right? Anyone used it before? Is it worth the moneys?