edited January 2016 in ORK Support
Ok,

Really sorry to throw this one out there, I definitely fatigued myself trying to get this to work but it just won't. I definitely don't like bothering people with what seems like trivial issues, but i cant find anything on this as far as i can tell.

This post is a separate thread so people can easily find out how to create tooltip HUD's, but is also a continuation of this thread:
http://forum.orkframework.com/discussion/2891/interact-events-from-a-distance-like-baldur-s-gate#latest

So here's what i've tried:

In Menus->HUDs I have a HUD called "Tooltip", it is of HUD type Tooltip and uses a GUI Box i know displays properly.
It's settings are combatants and scene objects.
it doesnt have any required game states, displays a background image, and has a tooltip element "%n", so that the tip shows the name of whatever im hovering over.

In my town, i have NPC_Green, he has a "Scene Object" component on him.
The scene object is a "Default object", with a simple description, of a default type, with a simple description.
I added a game variable to the scene object, it is a 'Variable' value, the value is 'name', and the string is "Shop Keeper".

I play the game, mouse over the shop keeper (NPC_Green), nada.

What am i missing?
Post edited by gamingislove on
  • ok, solved, different problem. There's nothing wrong with the Tooltip HUD. Apparently the problem has something to do with layers. I tried putting everything in my town on a different layer than the npc (I believe for the purpose of navmesh generation) and this creates a problem with collision detection between the mouse and the scene objects. We should dig deeper together on this, @gamingislove
  • The tooltips are handled through a raycast (using the HUD Layer Mask setting in Menu > Menu Settings > HUD Settings). I.e. if there's another collider between camera and the tooltip object, the tooltip wont be displayed.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!