Hello, just getting started with Ork here. I'm trying to create a hack 'n' slash type game, in which the player can attack at any time without needing to go into a battle mode. So far I've set up legacy animations for walking and idling in Base/Control > Animations. These appear to be working- I see the player character idling and performing the walk animation when walking. The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to get the player to attack. I've defined an attack animation (also in Base/Control > Animations, with the name of the prefab's attack animation), set up an input key for space as explained here, and set up a control map for attack as explained here, but pressing the space key while playing the game does not cause the attack animation to play.

Any idea what I might be missing? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
  • Hello @jeftones, the hack 'n' slash type game will require a Real Time type of Battle, you can check its tutorials here starting from 30 to 33. If you don´t want to use a Battle modes you will need to handle all the logic using game events or code, so you´ll lose a big deal of functionality provided out of the box without need to code.
  • The attack will still need an Ability which handles the animations (using battle events). Your control map would fire the ability, which will animate the user and handles damage stuff, etc.
    Beside using the real time battle system, you can also set up your abilities be usable in the field as well, i.e. without being in battle.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks very much for the tips. @gamingislove, I added an ability which is fired by the control map. How can I animate this ability like you suggest? I see an Animation Settings section on the ability, but if I check Animate in that section I don't see a way to specify an animation.

Thanks for your help!
  • @jeftones:

You don't actually add specific animations to Abilities. You need to play a Combatant Animation in a Battle Event. In the Battle Event where you play the animation, you'll also need a step to calculate the results of the attack.
  • Did you go through the game tutorial series? How all of this is working is explained there :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!