Is this interesting to someone else besides me?
  • Well, it would be quite the effort, I guess :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • 1 day, 1 week?
    comparing gameplay sources I see most of the work resides in the ORKEditor which I can´t see, probably the uGUI stuff, reverting scene management seems pretty straight forward.
  • It'll be at least a day, but I can't really say without looking into it. There where a lot of changes between Unity 4 and 5, as well as some features that are only available in Unity 5.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks GiL, my concern is related to overall bad performance I have with Unity 5 and I start to remove the dust from old Unity 4 projects and compare it (besides PBR and GI). From the official post there is no clear answer when this is going to be fixed. Since I´m targeting mobile and 4.7.1 added support for XCode 7.3 and fixes to IL2CPP it´s a great opportunity for me to migrate the current work done to Unity 4.
  • edited March 2016
    I would be very happy with this too. Suffering using 5.3 but hanging in there.

I've downgraded to just about every Unity 5 version there is and really miss the stability of the last Unity 4 version and reading the Unity forums I get the impression there won't be a comparably stable Unity 5 for awhile if ever.

Right now I'm holding off working seriously on a new game. I'm going to redo all the ORK tutorials and try to master terrain building and wait for a more stable version.

And while I would love this I wouldn't want Gil to have to do so much work especially since he's working on the grid-based addition.

Post edited by Catacomber on
  • I think a follow up question would be is anyone doing really well using Unity 5.x making a sizeable game?

And if you are, have you done anything special? Especially on mobile. I went through this with Unity when they switched to il2cpp because of Apple's requirements for 64 bit builds. It was many months of waiting for everything to work right.

They eventually got it right and I was able to get Omber done. But Omber is done with 4.6.

Right now not really sure what to do except redo the ORK tutorials and get better at things and work on making more beautiful terrains.

I somehow don't think it's right that gil should have to do a lot of work because of Unity's apparent shortcomings or more to say their apparent failure at quality control. I can wait for Unity to catch up. But I dream that 4.7 would work with all of my assets.
  • Catacomber said: is anyone doing really well using Unity 5.x making a sizeable game?
    I couldn't afford to downgrade to Unity 4.6 even if I really wanted, as my project is super-dependent on assets that require Unity 5.1+. Meaning stuff like MeshBrush, SmartCore, Chronos, DataBind, SimpleWaypoint, Alloy Framework, UnoShader, Particle Shaders, Tenkoku, TrueSky, the list goes on and on... Even UGUI Minimap now requires Unity5.
    Unity 5.3.3 still has problems of course and it's a tradeoff, but it's worth it, at least for my project.
  • edited March 2016
    On the flip side, I have so many useful and beautiful assets that never upgraded to 5.0 and that don't work right in 5 and a bundle of assets marked Deprecated. So that's a tradeoff too.

: |

But then 5.3 does offer a lot of beauty. I downloaded the patch 5.3.3p2 because I read in the Unity forum it helps with some performance. So will see.

I think Unity is probably going to have to do a lot of patches.

Maybe instead of going back to supporting Unity 4.x, gil could just support the patches if necessary?

• Sorry guys, but I´m asking for the effort to have ORK 2.7 features in 4.7, I do have lots of assets that works good in 4.7 and some that are stated as 5.x I can modified them to work with 4.7.
    I already shared that I have a 10 years old PC hardware and a MacBook from 2010. Unity 4.7 works beautifully. Saving to update the development environment takes time and if done correctly is expensive too. So instead of buying a new 600€ NVIDIA card I rather pay @GiL for that effort day (notice I´m not implying that´s the cost of the effort) and try to get a game ready to help for the hardware update savings.
    Does it makes sense to you?
  • Yes, it makes sense because you contributed to the group buy for the grid-based update and if you can't use it comfortably on your computers, that would be very sad in my humble opinion. Are you asking if Gil would do it out of the kindness of his heart or are you asking who would be interested in a group buy for this?

I'd be willing to contribute a modest amount because I have a lot of beautiful assets that I can't use in 5.x and I'd like to make a game with them still even if I make a game with 5.x.

But not sure how much interest there is for this as I don't know how many people are still using 4.x. I know Gregorik and Keldryn aren't.

I had the video card problem with my last computer and kept it alive a few more years by getting a used Nvidia card which was recommended by my computer guy. It cost $60.

I also routinely feed my computers as much ram as they can eat, whenever they get hungry which has kept me from having to buy a new computer more frequently.

I can understand fully how important this is to you.
  • edited March 2016
    My partners point out that I got a game done in 4.6 and why can't I make Nine Dragons in Unity 4.7.1? And actually the only answer I had was I depend on the ORK Framework and it's got a lot of new features.

That answer isn't good enough for them so I'm going back to using Unity 4.7.1 and the relevant ORK Framework.

Unity added support for 4.7.1 to work in the latest XCode so I guess that means something about its stability.

I'll make the best game I can using 4.7.1 and then when 5.3.x is really stable on mobile---go there.

But not now. I have people who depend on me to get things done. I have to stop dreaming that I can do it with the latest version of Unity.
  • Does anyone know how long Unity intends to support the 4.x release cycle?
    I can add a 4.7 compatible ORK version - but probably best after ORK 2.8.0 (grid battles) release.
  • As far I can tell 4.7 was the last version and then out of magic they added the 4.7.1 extra release.
  • That would be fantastic. I can wait until after the 2.8.0 release. I don't know how long but looking at some of the problems in the forum it looks like it might be awhile. They were going to drop open gl Es 2 support but haven't due to problems. I'll see if I can find a good thread to ask that question. A lot of asset sellers have their assets 5 ready but don't require any set version above 3 or 4.
  • I have always felt Unity 4.6 and 4.7 were the most stable editions of Unity I have seen yet, and I have used Pro editions since version 3 came out. I can't roll back what I have made in 5.3, but I never uninstalled version 4 and intend to use it for mobile and web based projects for now. Having both installed isn't a big deal, but the Unity license system can be annoying. I have alot of assets that were never updated for Unity 5 too, and for the ones that did update, the older versions still remain since I never uninstalled Unity 4. Before I do a Unity version upgrade, I make a project called Asset Grab. I import the Assets that are important to my projects, or that I think may be affected by the version upgrade for better or worse. That way, rolling back is simple even if those assets have been updated, if this makes sense.
    I'm old and mean...hiss~hiss~
    Chris