edited March 2014 in General Discussion
Hello,
I am working on a X-Com inspired medieval fantasy tactical RPG, with worldmap and battlemap. I have a simple prototype working in MOAI, but I would like to try to port it in Unity (as the perks are pretty awesome, with better out of the box cross platform compatibility, and much better PC support).

It needs to have a campaign map where several player controlled parties of heroes look for quest (and the player manage things like crafting, spell research, and recruitment), and battles on an hexagonal tile grid (the final game will use isometric view with skewed hexagons).
Characters will be represented as a group of sprites depending on equipment (one for left arm, right arm, left leg...).

Would the framework require much tweaking to do that? What other Unity plugins do I need (I probably need one to get a tiled hexagonal grid working painlessly)?
  • Beside the hexagonal grid stuff, most of the things can already be done out of the box.

ORK allows having multiple player groups (parties) - they can be switched through the event system. Same goes for quests, can be done with the event system :)
    Crafting, spell research can be done using the menu system and also through the event system. Recruiting is also something that can be done with the event system
    Showing different sprites based on the equipment can be done using Equipment Viewers ...
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • That sounds nice. What about classes?
    The plan is to have character start with one class, but most skills and items will be available to every classes. Then some characters could be "empowered" and become heroes (which would be a subclass with access to a higher level cap and different abilities), like DnD prestige class. Would that work out of the box too?
  • Classes can be changed during the game through abilities, items and using the event system - but you can only have a single class at a time. When changing classes, you can select if learned abilities and bonuses from the old class should be kept or not (same goes for learning abilities and bonuses from the new class).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!