I've been closely following ORK for obvious reasons. I've been following it for a few years as well but I was always kept from buying it as I chose playmaker instead as it gave me more options. Recently I noticed the grid framework functionality being implemented. This almost sold it right there and then. Then when I came on the forums, I noticed the playmaker add-on..I'm almost sold basically. I just have a few questions if I wish to import my game to this system though.

I'm not a programmer, but i understand programming to an extent thanks to RPG maker and playmaker. So any answers to my questions should consider this.

1:- I've been reading how the loot-tables work but I'm still a little confused. is it possible to create loot tables like dnd or skyrim where different tables can be used for different enemy types and depending on their level a random levelled item will drop?

2:- is it possible to create levelled items? I have a system where my weapons and armours are made by parts and depending on those parts, the item will change accordingly. So iron adds +3 to dmg and steel adds +5 for example. so a mob of level 1 might only drop iron daggers but a mob of lv 10 might drop steel daggers which will be stronger. To create all of these items individually would be crazy as there's millions of combinations. so I'm wondering if there is a way I can already do this using this system or if I can port my work from playmaker and it will somehow save itself using ORK saving mechanics.

2B:- can I create this system for crafting? so instead of making the item with stats, I make the items that go into creating the item have the stats and then the final result will be based on the stats of the items used to create the weapon.

2C:- on top of those stats that already come with the material, can I add stats based on item quality? I have a system that adds extra stats depending on your crafting skill. think gnomoria, dwarf fortress, etc. So a common elfish iron short sword will be completely different to a superior dwarven iron short sword. I could add this with playmaker but I can already see potential problems though.

3:- this is probably a stupid question but..is the grid system a "done when it's done" thing or could I have an estimation on when I could potentially be using it?

4:- can I create a skill like in Elder Srolls games that will affect the pricing of items from shops?

5:- can I make it so an enemy creates it's own equipment when it spawns like skyrim? it has to be based on it's level and that equipment has to be loot just like in skyrim. I can easily do this using playmaker but I'm afraid i won't save using ORK.
Keep in mind the way I have my items work as well and how they are generated.

6:- Does anyone know if the playmaker add-on extends saving functions from ORK to playmaker (saving playmaker states as well for example)? that would be the most awesome thing ever. If so, is there limitations? I'm obviously going to purchase this package as well if I buy ORK.

I might possibly think of more questions but I think knowing the answer to these would really help me make up my mind or prepare me for features I'll have to cut etc. thank you so much for your time in advance. Hope everyone is good.
  • edited April 2016
    A lot of these features are using arrays in my current project. Perhaps if ORK has something similar it might really help.

For example:-

In weapon generation I get the level of the mob, then I use material loot tables to get the material of the weapon he was carrying. This is done from an array. And the quality of the weapon is the same thing. type of weapon (sword, axe, ect) and the race that built the weapon (elfish, dwarven, human, etc) is taken from an array as well.

Perhaps knowing this might help you better understand some of my questions and if it's possible to implement with ORK.

EDIT:- I'm thinking that "get data" might be a key component in getting most of these features to work, but I'm not sure.
    Post edited by Rogerio on
  • Rogerio said: 1:- I've been reading how the loot-tables work but I'm still a little confused. is it possible to create loot tables like dnd or skyrim where different tables can be used for different enemy types and depending on their level a random levelled item will drop?
    You can define loot tables for level ranges in Combatants > Loot and use them for your combatant's loot. The items can be dropped by chance and you can additionally bind the loot table to certain conditions.
    Items don't have levels, i.e. you'll have to define different items for that.
    Rogerio said: 2:- is it possible to create levelled items? I have a system where my weapons and armours are made by parts and depending on those parts, the item will change accordingly. So iron adds +3 to dmg and steel adds +5 for example. so a mob of level 1 might only drop iron daggers but a mob of lv 10 might drop steel daggers which will be stronger. To create all of these items individually would be crazy as there's millions of combinations. so I'm wondering if there is a way I can already do this using this system or if I can port my work from playmaker and it will somehow save itself using ORK saving mechanics.
    Normal items (e.g. potions or quest items) don't have levels, but equipment can have levels. Your example would probably be better to define different weapons for iron daggers and steel daggers. There are also random status bonuses equipment can give, as well as the equipment variables and selected data features to further customize your system.
    Rogerio said: 2B:- can I create this system for crafting? so instead of making the item with stats, I make the items that go into creating the item have the stats and then the final result will be based on the stats of the items used to create the weapon.
    There is a crafting system built-in, but the used items don't influence the outcome. I.e. you define a crafting recipe that needs specific items and has a specific outcome - all items/equipment need to be defined by you.
    You can probably create a custom crafting system using item/equipment variables and selected data features.
    Rogerio said: 2C:- on top of those stats that already come with the material, can I add stats based on item quality? I have a system that adds extra stats depending on your crafting skill. think gnomoria, dwarf fortress, etc. So a common elfish iron short sword will be completely different to a superior dwarven iron short sword. I could add this with playmaker but I can already see potential problems though.
    Again, item/equipment variables and selected data features :)
    Rogerio said: 3:- this is probably a stupid question but..is the grid system a "done when it's done" thing or could I have an estimation on when I could potentially be using it?
    Well, it's in development - the first useable beta version is planned for end of May, a fully featured beta version for mid to end of June.
    Rogerio said: 4:- can I create a skill like in Elder Srolls games that will affect the pricing of items from shops?
    Hm, you might be able to do this by using multiple currencies and changing the exchange rates between them.
    Rogerio said: 5:- can I make it so an enemy creates it's own equipment when it spawns like skyrim? it has to be based on it's level and that equipment has to be loot just like in skyrim. I can easily do this using playmaker but I'm afraid i won't save using ORK.
    Keep in mind the way I have my items work as well and how they are generated.
    You can define the equipment of a combatant based on level ranges. I'm not sure if dropping their equipment is currently possible, maybe when using the combatant's start inventory as loot and unequipping their stuff in the death battle event.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks for the reply, Gamingislove.

I've been having a look at the select data feature as well as the playmaker ad-on and I'm trying to see if I don't have to lose any features when porting my game.
    Select data seems to answer a lot of my questions and I think I can build some work around using playmaker as well. This pretty much just leaves me with one question which I'm pretty sure what the answer will be but I'll ask just to make sure.

If I create a "short sword" item in ORK editor, then I add the stats using playmaker to the weapon variable when it drops (This will include the features I refereed to earlier, including changing the item's name). So now the short sword becomes an "epic Human short steel sword" for example. when this weapon changes, it will not affect any other short swords that originate from the prefab within ORK, right? so if I already have another "short sword" in my inventory, I will now have 1 "short sword" and one "epic Human short steel sword" and the prefab within the editor will still be "short sword" with the original unmodified stats. I guess what I'm asking is if the weapon I change will be unique after the changes.
    If this is the case and I'm guessing it most likely is, then I think I can find ways around all of my problems with the exception of elder scroll type mercantile skill but even with that I already have some ideas on how to influence that using playmaker. I think I saw an option to change the percentage of price when sold in the editor so if I can influence that with playmaker, it should be pretty easy.

Anyway, thank you so much for your time in answering me.