edited April 2016 in ORK Support
The problem with the sprites is that they don't show up how I intend them to. Take a look at this puush link:-

http://puu.sh/ohS0b/57f7861038.jpg

1:-As you can see from the picture, the sprite is standing up instead of being flat on the ground. The sprite also flips when moving instead of it rotating on the base that I intend. I had to place the map (all art is place-holder) at -90 x rotation in the transform or the character would just fall down with no ground beneath it. How can I rectify this issue and have my character spawn the right way and turn correctly also?

2:-A small problem with movement. The movement is almost perfect (excluding the sprite orientation) but it has a turn effect on it. If you take a look at the picture, you can see I had to increase the rotation speed really high to eliminate it but it's still not 100% gone. It slides down ever so slightly when turning sometimes when left arrow is pressed from right arrow for example. it also does it for vertical movement. It doesn't have this effect if I let go of an arrow first and then quickly press the oposite arrow though. That's the movement I'm trying to emulate but without worrying about accidentally pressing to arrow keys and getting that rotation affect. anyway of turning this off and still having the character face the direction you're moving?

3:- weird movement problem. If I hold left arrow then press right arrow, the player changes direction to right. But this doesn't happen when you hold right arrow and press left arrow. He keeps going right. This can confuse the player and I'm wondering if there is any way to fix this issue.

4:- I'm using "top down border" camera for a top down rpg. The camera starts off high and it's not perfectly aligned to be top down. I changed the "distance" to 1 so the camera is as close to top down as possible but changing it to 0 turns off movement. Is there a better method to do this? It might be worth mentioning that I'm in 2d mode on unity.
I have provided a puush link with my settings so far.

http://puu.sh/ohSUp/79ba4987ea.png

(SOLVED) 5:- Going back to the movement picture, what does the "use combatant speed" do because when I change the speed in those settings it doesn't seem to make any difference in player speed.

(EDIT) 6:- It looks to me like the biggest problem with movement for me is that there either isn't a proper top down mouse and keyboard controller out of the box or I can' find a way to do one. I've been wrecking my brains for the last week trying to find a way to do it but I don't think it's possible without coding. The control type I'm talking about is like the ones seen in games like Hotline Miami. Where W+S is up and down, A+D is strafe and then you use the location of the mouse to look. This could be very useful for side-scrolling rpg games as well. Is there any plans to implement this type of control system or should I post it under requested features?

Thanks for the help. If I have additional questions do I make a new thread or just add to this one?
Post edited by Rogerio on
  • Are you using 2d? I see something in one pic that looks like the Hutong Games logo. Are you using Playmaker and ORK?
  • Yes I'm using 2d as well as playmaker. I have the playmaker integration as well but I'm not using it yet. I'm trying to figure out the character controller using only ORK atm. I'm not even sure how I'd use playmaker to create the character controller and use speed from ORK. This is all pretty new to me. I just got ORK yesterday.
  • edited April 2016
    OH. You're the guy doing those videos! I checked your stuff out. Couldn't find my answers though. In the videos I saw you used the already made brown pants prefab from the tutorial. I'm trying to make a new one using a sprite.
    Also is it me or is the intro to your videos normal sound and then the video itself is really low? I have to keep turning down my sound and then maxing it when you start talking.

@Catacomber
  • I'm not the guy who made those videos. :). Kirb here uses 2d a lot. Maybe you could pm him.
  • Hi @Rogerio, did you try the 2D demo project from the amazing tanomhz ORK-Playmaker integration?
    gamekakkak.com/orkpm/demo-project/
    I´m pretty sure it has all covered for you.
  • edited April 2016
    @Catacomber. Oh my bad... I'm not sure where I got that idea from then :/ Sorry for the misunderstanding.

EDIT:- Also, sick games showcase, man. Have you ported any of them to steam? You make the sort of games I enjoy playing :)

@RustedGames

I did try out the demo but it contained missing actions and other problems.
    But also the 2d demo is for a sideways platformer and I'm making a top down game. Additionally, I'm trying to see if it can be done using just ORK at the moment. I'm trying to familiarize myself with ORK. I'm not even sure of the limitations of the integration and I'm afraid of losing flexibility like for example, losing the speed ability within ORK if I use a playmaker controller instead.
  • OK I figured out the speed settings now. question 5 has been solved. I'll put an explanation here in case anyone else is searching for this:-

The "use combatant speed" box links to aa setting on the "combatants" page. I'll post a picture.

http://puu.sh/okbZ1/e511791d6f.png

I played about with this before to try changing the speed but I didn't notice the min + max speed. So it had no effect on speed. That's what confused me.
  • When using sprites as your player's prefab you'll need to use your own player controls. The built-in controls are for 3D and will rotate the game object, which isn't a good idea with sprites :)

What questions are still unanswered?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited April 2016
    @gamingislove
    Is there any plans to support sprites and also is there any plans to include a button + mouse movement mode? so the character looks towards the mouse pointer but moves using the arrows.
  • No - ORK isn't for player/camera control, but for the RPG systems and everything around it.
    The built-in controls are pretty basic and only to get you started.

There are a lot of good control scripts out there and you can use them together with ORK through custom controls.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • @gamingislove

I think I get the premise of ORK now that you've said that.

Thanks for the help. If I have any more questions should I post them in this thread or create a new one?

Also, thanks for the link. Might come in helpful unless I decide to create my own in playmaker.
  • If the questions are related to this topic, post them here - otherwise open a new one for other questions :)