Hi, I have been working hard on trying to finish a battle between my character and a bear, and I am wondering, should I even be doing this? I don't think I want to make a game that is built on killing other beings to get ahead in the game. Is there a way I could make an rpg medieval world a fun game without killing things? I can't think of a way, but if anyone has any examples, that would be great, please.

If I cannot come up with examples , I may just make a killing game, but in the end, I don't know if I should make it a typical rpg or not.
  • @silverglade1, yes, you can make a game with ORK Framework which is based on Quests and give experience, level up using Events or scripting after completion of the Tasks for example.
    Using the built in status development is optional, in your combatant setup you can specify to use the status development or not, and then you will need to handle the level up by your self.
  • here is a good thread I found. Do you or anyone else have an example of an interesting Non Violent kind of beautiful world graphics rpg game? Here is the thread they were discussing it. and the problem of boredom possibility.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.52773-Violent-RPGs
  • my pc is a little slow, but my zones look good. some are "beautiful" I would like to make that part of the importance of the game. but I need a way faster pc. LOL. as I am constantly deleting mountains of grass.
  • I am going to really have to think about a non violent rpg , because basically the core of an rpg is to kill, get cool weapons and gear, and kill some more. I don't know what the reward would be for a nonviolent quest. I would have to come up with some reward that is worth playing the game. not sure if it is possible with a world rpg, maybe that kind of thing is better for a 2d world building game or something. I can just picture my character aimlessly wandering around my zones, looks nice, but nothing to do. LOL. maybe I should make the bear do a dancing animation if you give him 2 gold. haha
  • some good ideas for adding excitement on that thread link I gave were

stealth
    diplomacy,
    and bribery.
  • the avoidance of violence by cleverness or stealth. just one part of the puzzle I guess.
  • Undertale comes to mind. That game lets you be either a murder crazy psychopath or a loving hug giver without harming a soul.

Harvest Moon - A farming sim game with RPG elements. Rune Factory for more fantasy themed with light-hearted monster hunting.

Deception IV/Trapt - A RPG focuses on building traps to fight enemies indirectly.
  • Maybe the Love/Hate asset which has ORK Framework integration might become handy to what you are trying to achieve.

• great thank you both for that. Now I need to make my animations work correctly. and battle navmesh. don't know how to integrate that into ork, if I make a navmesh for my enemy, where that goes in ork
  • Hi RustedGames, is there a free alternative to the love/hate faction package? but I guess if it does not work with Ork there's no point.
  • Nimian Legends by Protopop made with Unity but he's just gotten around to adding "monsters" -environmental beings that you don't actually fight but I think try to help --and is just getting to adding quests.
  • thank you for that
  • No free version of Love/Hate asset, and yes it does work with ORK Framework
  • They're not completely non-violent, but Planescape: Torment and Arcanum are excellent examples of CRPGs that feature great non-violent approaches to the game.