edited April 2016 in ORK Support
Hello,

It's me again ( I promise that I'll one day become a G and ask less questions/be able to answer more later)

The Situation:

I had a question about the Movement A.I.'s in Ork.

My game being in 2D uses the X and Y axis to communicate Horizontal and Vertical Movement respectively.

I've been reading through the documentation and haven't found anything that suggest that A.I. movement can be limited to the X and Y axis.

I've set a couple of basic move A.I.'s on my player group buddies and some monsters, and added a script that locks the Z axis of those characters. But in doing so, I have found that it the Y axis movement of the attacked events is also locked.

The Questions:

1. Is there some sort of functionality or best recommended practice pre-built into Ork that allows for this?

2. Or will I need to go down the *gulp* custom A.I. movement route?

I ask because, I wasn't sure if I try to do something that restricts movement on the Z axis, if that my directly impacts something in how the Move A.I. system fundamentally works.

Thanks again for being so awesome! (All of you)
Post edited by twill14 on
  • The move AI itself doesn't really care if it's 2D or 3D. If you're operating on the XY plane, you'll probably need to use a custom movement component, as the simple Default movement and NavMesh operate on the XZ plane (3D).

So, you'd need to write (or get) a component handling your movement and use the Custom component type in your move AIs. For the AI to communicate with your script, you'll need 3 functions, 1 for setting the speed (1 float parameter), one for setting a destination (1 Vector3 parameter) and one for stopping (no parameters).

Also, the Enemy Detection angle checks have a setting to define the Horizontal Plane, which in your case should be set to XY.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ah gotcha man!

Thank you very much!

I might look at some additional measures to handle Move A.I. in that case!

Thanks!