Hey all,

I'm new to ORK, relatively new to Unity, and brand new to the forums.

I checked out ORK and it's amazing!

Ultimately it seems perfect to assist me and my team while we work on a game idea I have, but there are a few hiccups I've noticed (but I'm more than willing to believe that it's likely explained somewhere else and I just can't find it in the discussions that are already around).

I'd like for some help or someone to point me to a SOLVED/IN PROGRESS topic for some of the following if it's not too much trouble:

1) I'm trying to mess with stats and, while I've been going through the Tuts, I have stats that I want to have as decimal point increments (Critical chance, for example).

2) While I believe I skimmed that Critical chance is a thing you can alter later, I wanted it as a displayable stat that you can directly upgrade with AP (which I do have that working to the best of my knowledge). Perhaps there is another way that doesn't involve stats -- if so, awesome! I'd love to know where to read up on it.

3) Another thing I really want to do -- I want to have AP increase a skill a certain amount from, say, Levels 1-30, and a bigger increase in different categories. Is there a way to do that that I have yet to wrap my mind around?

4) To go with 3, is there a way to have an upgrade cost X AP for a certain range of upgrades, and increase the cost for a different one?

Probably for now that's all I'm really curious about. Perhaps there is a tutorial out there which covers these, or maybe someone has a topic out there. I tried to search for some of these terms but unfortunately it's a bit ambiguous to search "AP", "Crit", or "Level skills", so I couldn't find much on my own. If there is something, please send it my way so I can read up on it.

I super appreciate any help.
  • For #2, you can have a status value that represents the combatants' critical hit skill and use that value as the basis for your critical hit chance formula. You can then set up Status Upgrade costs for that status value (I believe it's in the Status Developments section).
  • 1) Status values are integers/whole numbers. The critical chance (e.g. defined by an ability) is a float value, but not displayed to the player.

2) Critical chances are defined by abilities - when you enable using the critical chance, you can define it as you need for that ability (e.g. using a formula like Keldryn said). Enabling the critical chance allows setting up the target changes for a critical hit separately.

3) Abilities have ability levels, where you define the amount that's needed to reach the level - i.e. you have full control over this. There are different ways to level up an ability - by the player spending points on it, automatically earning points through killing enemies or by using it.

4) As said for 3), you define the cost per ability level, so you can define whatever cost for whatever range you want :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thank you so much! I appreciate the replies.

@Gamingislove,
    1) Ok, that's fair enough. Luckily enough things I was looking at for stat progression can be scaled to deal with that.

3, 4) I guess I must have missed that or not gotten to it yet, but then again I've yet to complete the tuts fully. I get excited easily -- guess I'll just keep trucking on.

@Gamingislove, @Keldryn

So for 2... do I understand correctly that what I could essentially do is have the crit chance enabled, have a formula use that for a Crit stat, and it would just display it in the form of an Integer? And then AP added to that would be like any other Stat I upgrade? If it's that simple, I'll probably get a hang of it, but if I'm not quite getting it, I appreciate instruction otherwise.
  • edited May 2016
    Not exactly, but you're nearly there :)

You'd have:
    - a crit status value (int), which is presented to the player
    - abilities using a critical chance formula (not visible to the player), which is using the crit status value in its calculation (e.g. if your crit stat goes from 0 to 1000, it could be crit stat / 100, or also take stats from the target into account, e.g. a crit defence stat)
    - you can use AP to increase the crit stat (through status development) and level up abilities (also learn new abilities, see ability trees for that)
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • @Gamingislove,

I believe I understand, thanks!

Though, there was one other thing so far (but I'm likely just missing something).

Let's say I have a menu where I want the players to have the option of starting an introductory type scene in Unity, but then also the main game itself is another option.

I know the "new game" part is whatever you name it, and whatever scene you connect to, but as far as I can currently tell, I can't do a second button that directs to a scene as well, and additionally I can't order the buttons as far as I can tell.

I'm really wanting to do something where it looks like:

1)Introductory Bit
    2)Main Game
    3)Continue (if available)
    4)Options
    5)Credits
    6)About
    7)Exit

But any custom addition is placed below "About", and I've yet to find anything that says I can move the options, let alone have to parts that direct to two different scenes in the Main Menu. So what would I do for that?
  • While you can use the Custom option to start custom code (which e.g. loads your other scene), ordering the options that way is not possible.

You can either script your own main menu or use ORK's event system to create a fake menu - both require some custom scripting (e.g. to start the new game).
  • Darn, ok. Well honestly that's hardly a big deal.

With everything ORK does achieve, I'm sure if it's that big of a deal I can set aside time to get that hammered out.

But thank you!