OMG--I finally bit the bullet and learned this. It's so sleek.
  • Yes, it is.

I have no desire to go back to legacy animations. Check out ootii's Motion Controller to really see what you can do with Mecanim.
  • Is ootii's motion controller easy to integrate into ORK?
  • Reasonably easy. I'm working on that right now. It probably integrates more smoothly for a real-time game than a turn-based game, although it's quite possible to use it for either.

You need to be comfortable with coding in C# to really make use of it... or have someone on your team who is. I have three of the highly-rated third person controllers: ootii's Motion Controller, Opsive's Third Person Controller, and Invector's Third Person Controller - Melee Combat Template.

Invector's controller gives you the most polished out-of-the-box experience. It really feels like you can just plug in your own models and animations and you've got a game. However, it's also the least flexible of the three and if you're not looking for something that feels inspired by Dark Souls then you're going to have some difficulty customizing it. You can't create new actions for it without modifying the source code included with the asset, which is a huge issue for me.

Both Opsive's and ootii's controllers allow you to extend their functionality by coding custom actions that are self-contained and plug in to the controller. Opsive's controller gives you more functionality out-of-the-box, including systems for inventory, weapons, and combat. Motion Controller gives you a nice set of movement actions (locomotion, jump, climb, vault, etc), but you're on your own as far as any sort of combat goes. Which isn't entirely bad if you want to integrate it with ORK's weapons and battle system.

One major difference between Opsive's TPC and Motion Controller is that MC treats your basic locomotion (idle/walk/run) the same as any other action, while TPC treats it as an essential ability and thus doesn't really let you build your own locomotion actions from scratch. The default locomotion included with MC leans towards more realistic and fluid-looking motion (like in Tomb Raider or The Witcher 3); your character has momentum and thus doesn't stop moving the instant you take your thumb off the analog stick or your finger off the W key. However, you have the freedom to make it work however you like (and there is a new example now included of a responsive "twitch" locomotion that has no momentum and no transition animations).

Okay, so I answered WAY more than you asked... it isn't too much trouble to integrate with ORK, but you will need to put in a significant amount of work to build all of the actions/motions for your particular game. It is by far my preferred controller of the three that I mentioned, as it is the most flexible and extensible -- and I consider it to be the best designed, from the perspective of a software engineer. You need an experienced C# coder to really use MC to its full potential.
  • Way more is always good. : ) I know scripting facility is very useful with Mecanim. Let me see how far I get with Mecanim and ORK and a standard third-party controller and then I'll try Invector, which might be a good match for me. I'm still a novice with Mecanim. Thanks very much. This is my thread for Mecanim/ORK questions and anything related so if you have further impressions of any of these three controllers, feel free to share your experience.

As with anything, I'm starting from being a novice and hope to add more and more to my knowledge and facility.
  • edited May 2016
    My two cents.
    @Catacomber, also check the Motion Controller Vault here where you can find shared motions ready to be used with pack. I contributed with the Mixamo Magic Pack Animations as part of my learning curve.
    Post edited by RustedGames on
  • I intend to contribute some of the motions that I'm creating to the Vault as well. Once I'm sure that I know what I'm doing, anyway. ;-)
  • edited May 2016
    With the current Mecanim Animator Controller comes a red Exit button. Do I need to do anything with that? Not covered in the tutorial. Thanks.

My guess is the Exit button is for sub state machines:

https://michaelarbuthnot.wordpress.com/2015/07/23/tutorial-unity-animation-2-the-animator-component/

Post edited by Catacomber on
  • @Catacomber, you may also want to check out this Mecanim tutorial that I posted a few months back:

http://forum.orkframework.com/discussion/2901/tutorial-weapon-specific-animations-using-mecanim

It's a good example of what you can do with Mecanim and ORK.

Of course I've learned a ton since then and I now consider that approach to be too basic for my needs, but it's a good way to ease into more complicated Mecanim setups. ;-)