edited June 2016 in Makinom Support
I have a question. In Makinom I created a bird in the sky with a rotate around node to make it rotate around my player. This part is good. But whenever the bird moves around the player, it is not facing the right direction as a bird should when flying in a circle. In makinom, is there a way to rotate a game object to make it look at the position that it will be going to? Hope I make myself clear. :)
Post edited by Shadow_Fire on
  • You'll have to handle the rotation on its own. E.g. using the Vector3 Angle node to get the angle between bird and player and use that to rotate the bird (e.g. +/-90 degrees).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited May 2016
    After I got the float angle, where do I plug in the variable? Because all rotation nodes need a vector3 variable.

My nodeds are
    Rotate Around (Rotate the bird around the player) --> Vector3 Angle --> ?(which nodes should I use here?)
  • Using the Set Axis value type for a Vector3, you can define each axis individually, e.g. using a float variable for one of them :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • After a day of trying it, I still couldn't. Tried so many ways, but ended up not with the result I have in mind :)

I have a tick machine on the bird.
    In it is Rotate Around --> Vector3 Angle (created a float var call angle --> Rotate To (set axis Y to angle, also tried setting X and Z to angle).

Sometimes the bird flies with it's butt going first and sometimes it flies sideway. This is especially true for when I run and the bird catch up to me and circle around me again.

Do you know what else I am missing? :D
  • Ok, the Vector3 Angle isn't ideal for this, since the angle between bird and player isn't changing that much - sorry :)

Let's make this easier: Rotate Around > Rotate To > Change Rotation

Rotate To
    Rotate the bird to the player, no fading, probably a good idea to lock the X/Z axis (i.e. only rotate on the Y axis).

Change Rotation
    Change the bird's Y axis rotation by +/- 90 (depending on the direction you're going). Disable Set Rotation (i.e. the value will be added to the bird's rotation, no fading.
  • edited May 2016
    It's okay, I also get to know how to use the vector3 angle node better anyway. :)

Oh yeah, something weird happened when I also tried the new method.
    In my rotate around node, I just increased the Y axis by 1 and the rotation speed by 20. Did the Rotate To node as you said. In the Change Position node, I change the Y value to 90 (and even -90). Upon pressing play, my bird just spins nonstop while it rotates around my player. I can also see how that method should work, so seeing the endless spinning surprises me. I don't know what could have triggered that.
  • Make sure you're using the correct game objects (e.g. rotate bird to the player). Otherwise I'd need the details of your settings.
  • edited June 2016
  • Hm, do you have a rigidbody on your bird? If not needed, I'd remove it - or change the Rotation Component to Transform (rotate to and change rotation nodes).
  • Amazing Gil, you did it once again. Makinom is hella cool too, allowing us to do all these things without scripting. Thanks! Just side note, do you know when will the next Makinom update be? :)
  • No - currently busy with the grid battle feature for ORK, new Makinom version will be coming once that's finished :)
  • edited June 2016
    Oh, awesome. That's good news. :)