Hey all,

I know I'm probably pushing the limits of ORK with some of my stuff (not a bad thing IMO, just means I'll need to do some scripting here and there), but there was one thing I would really like some clarification on, because I don't know that it is a possibility, but I'd love to be wrong.

Essentially, mechanically, I want to have it to where a character has background traits, think of it as a Character Type. I want this type to decide stats and magic. Additionally, I want a class, which decides weapons, armor, and abilities that would use Tech Points (TP), a stat I want to use.

Now I know classes definitely do exactly what I want for them to do, but I'm having a hard time figuring if I can do the former.

Additionally, I don't suppose I can do dual classes (or that that would help remedy the situation at hand)?
  • Sounds like your character traits are just the combatant's status values and abilities.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Perhaps I'm not understanding what you're implying -- is there a work around where I can implement it like that, because yeah, that's definitely what I want for the first type of distinction I listed.
  • In your combatant's settings (Status Settings > Status Value Settings), you can either use a Status Development or define fixed status values. In the combatant's Attacks & Abilities settings you define the combatant's abilities.

That's standard ORK procedure :)
    If you haven't done yet, I'd recommend going through the game tutorials to learn about all of this.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • For what you describe, both your class abilities and character magic are both set up under ORK Abilities, regardless of what's managing them or what kinds of resources they need to activate or level up. System-side it's essentially the same thing, even tho' to the player it'll be displayed and used differently. Just set up your TP stat and only have your 'abilities' use it, don't put it in the magic.

And as @Gil pointed out, yeah, use Status Developments , one for each Character Type. Each development can set the stats differently, use different level up formulas, all that. \

For your class, just set that up as normal with the armor, weapons, and ability development. For your magic, you can set that up under the character's ability development, or handle it through a game event by enabling the character's own level up settings and do anything custom in there.
    My little chunk of the internet: http://artemic.com
  • Y'know, this probably sounds silly now. I was likely over thinking it.

Allow me to restate this so I can confirm I understand that this does in fact work as I think you're saying.

I can, for instance, decide the standard Status Values, as I would, and give a character that Dev and the Class I want them to have.

Class will decide all of what I wanted -- including the abilities for TP (by doing an ability development), and then just also decide on the Combatant which Magic they get?

I guess the reason I was over thinking this is because I wanted there to be a Character Type (as in the OP) that was innately influencing the Stats AND Magic, but I guess that's effectively not important since I can declare those independently per character, yeah?
  • Yep, you got it. And as you say, yuppers, you declare the Stats Dev and Magic independently per combatant, so you can have everyone set up as uniquely as you want.

Just tell the player it's because of their background Trait they have the stats and magic that they do. They never see the backend stuff.
    My little chunk of the internet: http://artemic.com
  • Yeah.

I mean, if I could do it my way, that would be more convenient down the road, but it's hardly close to necessary.

Overthinking: 156439, Rational thought: 0

One day.

Thanks for clearing it all up for me though!