Hello everyone. I'm hoping to make something that is similar to frozen synapse, such that it's a phase battle system that has all of the combatants moving at the same time after a planning stage, such that the strategic nature is in trying to predict you're opponent's movements and outmanoeuvre them.

I thought before that i start ramming my head at the wall of code ill need to mess with to change this, i thought that i would ask for some advice on which scripts and where i should need to target. Ill note that i'm also going to have multiplayer in this, where the Ai of the opponent's are planned from other players actions, and that i am using Playmaker and photon in combination with ork framework.

So, what do you guys think? Which scripts should i be paying the closest attention to? What are the pitfalls that i'm blindly wandering towards?
  • Such a phase battle system should already be doable out of the box. In Battle System > Phase Battles, disable Use Active Command to plan all actions at the start of a turn, and enable Use Dynamic Combant to allow multiple actions at the same time.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I thought the phase battles ran one side, then the other. Is it possible to have both sides acting at the same time after selecting their actions without editing anything?
  • That'd be a turn based battle - why not use that instead?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Turn based is one character at a time isn't it?. Hold on, let me more clearly explain what i'm trying to do. If you are familiar with frozen synapse then that's the best example.

First, it would start off paused, with three actions being chosen for each character that someone has control over (ideally, this will be a multiplayer situation where every player controls one character, some likely being ai controlled). Then Once everyone has selected their actions, the characters will play out the action on screen, performing different ai and actions depending on the combination of those three actions chosen. Actions will include moving to different positions in the environment, guarding, dodgying, attacking, and many other possible effects based on the combination of a large list of skills.

Once all of the characters have played out their actions at the same time (oh enough time passes) The game pauses again so that new actions are selected and the process repeats.
  • Use turn based battles set to Classic turn based mode (i.e. all actions will be selected at the start of the turn) and enable Use Dynamic Combat to allow performing multiple actions at the same time.

For using multiple actions per turn, you can use the Actions Per Turn and action cost settings.