This discussion was created from comments split from: Commissions: Group Buy Requests.

Please don't use the group buy information thread for gathering people - do that in your own thread :)
Post edited by gamingislove on
Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Start game character selection and customization tutorial (and paper doll screen).

Hi GIL and others, I'm fairly sure that the ORK framework already has the ability to do this, I am just keen to have it put in a very nice and easy to follow tutorial. If anyone else is interested in this please let me know.
  • I'm interested. Is this without UMA or with UMA? I haven't tried the paper doll screen but I think it's important to have one. I don't do a great deal,of customization but I'd like to have a paper doll screen. I have the graphic. Just have to figure out how to use it. A tutorial would save me a lot of time.
  • I would be interested in a character selection and customize screen tutorial as well.

I already had a screen set up with different combatant prefabs to cycle through when creating a new game in the character naming scene I made with the event system. However I scrapped it when I started having issues with all the different hero prefabs and spawning in the next scene.

So seeing a tutorial that deals with this and with scenarios when party members join the team having the ability to customize them in game would be cool too.

thank you,
    Cheers
    =]
    Portfolio - My Website
    Follow my project on Reddit - My Game DevLog
    relentingVids - My YouTube Channel
    Half Super Shop - My Shop
  • I think that would be pretty cool!
  • edited July 2016
    Ok to add some scope to this, specifically what we are looking for is…

(Note: I have based these requirements largely on the D&D style which has become the defacto standard for the majority of RPGs these days.)

(The sub points denote nice to haves, as opposed to must haves).

Character creation and customization functionality and tutorial requirements.
    1. Loading paper doll screen from the start menu with a typical step by step process of character creation menus. Paper doll screen to show a 3d copy of the player model on some background with starting equipment.
    1.1. The ability to rotate the model in the paper doll window.
    2. The ability to enter player name (as global var – already possible just need tute)
    3. The ability to select gender (with associated model change on the paper doll viewer)
    3.3. The ability to cycle through a number of selections of models (or portraits).
    3.3.3 The ability to cycle through some hair styles (again lets not go into every option we just need to see how its done for one piece like hair, and then we can take it to other body features if we so desire).
    4. The ability to select faction/class/race (Just one example and we should be able to copy this as per our individual games).
    5. Selecting abilities/stats and assigning starting values. I.e. base values with the ability to “spend” some additional points as the player wishes.
    (I think from this point on we would have enough info to be able to add our own additional elements where we need them)

In game paper doll holder with Inventory Screen.
    1. Drag and drop items from the inventory onto the paper doll holder and have that item appear on the character model shown in the paper doll holder.

@Catacomber I'm not sure how UMA would really change things other than for say 3.3.3. type stuff. Is this what you were referring to? Please excuse my ignorance as I am a FUSE user :)

This is a quick guide as to what I was thinking. Did people want to add things? Trying to keep it fairly basic at this stage.

Lets get a consensus on what we want, who’s in and out, and then we can ask GIL if this is possible/price etc.

Again we understand that most of this is already possible with ORK (and/or relies on unity rather than ORK) but we a really asking more for the the tutorial side of things.

Thanks guys
    Post edited by Phesant33 on
  • Brand new to unity and ORK..about 2/3 through making the demo

But I second this for sure..Exactly the kind of thing I am looking for.
  • edited July 2016
    Noting that you are adding a 3d model as a "paper doll" so it's not 2d.

That's a new twist. I think somewhere here Gil already did some answers about a 2d paperdoll but we're asking for a 3d one right? That's important to let gil know as a tutorial for a 3d figure and a 2d paperdoll would be different.

I don't know how UMA would affect this as am not using it right now but what you're trying to accomplish is useful.

I think you could do that with the 3d model via a special camera? I don't really care about hair styles. But I'm in, depending on the price as------

I'm not particularly happy about Unity and its new forum right now but since ORK doesn't work with UE4, I'm more or less still here.

So basically, when I know what all will be included and the price, I'll let you know if I'm in. I think that's a fair response for all of us. I think I could probably do most of this myself, without the rotation, but I would love the time saved by not having to think about it and I also like to support ORK.

It's a more or less bread and butter part of making an rpg game. You need to have it.

I think you need to have an idea of what you want and then ask gil about the price and then see who's in and who's out.

I know I wouldn't commit to something without knowing what I'm buying and for how much.

My suggestion is--do up a proposal based on what everyone here wants--present it to gil--get a price and then come back to us.

Maybe ask for some tips from Kirb as he went through this already.

Post edited by Catacomber on
  • Hi @Catacomber, (and yes right about the doll not being 3d, sorry just a bad naming convention habit) great suggestions as usual. I was hoping to do exactly that, i.e. I was just checking that the community didn't want anything drastically different to what I was proposing so that when I went to Gil the quote wasn't for something vague and constantly changing. Scope creap is nasty and expensive, I totally agree that requirements should be drafted and finalized before anything is agreed to. We can give it a bit of time (few days?) to see if others want anything added. So bar any major deviations I can get a requirements doc up (If that's what GiL actually wants/requires), I don't want to go overboard or else I would just spend the time attempting to make the thing happen myself. Im in the same boat as you, I just want the thinking removed with quick results so I can get on with the game. As you said, character selection is an integral part of any RPG, we couldn't avoid it if we wanted to. :)

@gamingislove could you please comment/pm regarding what you require from us to get this moving? (documentation wise, approximate quote would be useful too). Cheers.
  • I am in favor of this tutorial. The 2d 3d thing has me a bit confused. What I would be looking for is a 2D hud with a 3D vanity view.

The tutorial would be great.
  • @Wood, great to hear. You are not confused :), exactly as you say, we are currently asking for a 2d hud with a 3d vanity view to (which rotates....fancy).
  • @Phesant33--When it gets down to actual crowdfunding here for this, if it does, please talk to Kirb about his experience. I think he hit a few bumps mainly about exchange rates at the end but I may not remember correctly what it was. I think he could give you good advice.
  • @Catacomber, thanks for that advice, I will absolutely ask him. Right now just wondering if anyone else wants anything added. Then I need a quote essentially.
  • This sounds very useful. I'd interested :)
  • I'd also be v interested in this. Tied to the defence attribute/choose race quandarry and making it all simples. Would also be nice if we could have multi classes... ;)
  • Having multi classes is easy---even without a tutorial.