edited August 2016 in Makinom Support
On the unity terrain, If I use the default ork player controller and I climb a hill, when I reach a certain slope, I can't jump anymore. This is good.
But using the makinom tutorial controller, I can even jump until I reach the top, no matter how steep the hill is. My character controller component has a slope limit of 45. Do you know how to fix this? :)
I tried everything I could, but I still failed to come up with a solution.

On the second problem, in my player controller schematic, I check my player speed and if it's 0, play idle, more than 0 > play run.
This works great, but I also have a moving platform that when jump onto it, will mount my player to the platform, thus moving him along with it. The problem is that when I am on the moving platform, my player will keep on playing the run animation even when I am not moving him around. I click on my player in the scene mode, go to the object change component, and found out that the moving platform's speed is also increasing my player's horizontal speed. That's why the run animation keeps playing even when I am standing still. Do you also know why this happen?

Post edited by Shadow_Fire on
  • The ORK controller has that behaviour built in - i.e. if you want the same in Makinom, you'll have to add that in the schematic.
    You can get the slope of the ground by using a Raycast node to store the ground's Normal into a variable and using a Vector3 Angle node to store the angle from the Up direction to the stored Normal value.

Yes, that's the issue here - the speed is calculated from the position change per frame, i.e. the moving platform changes the player's position and influences the measured speed.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited August 2016
    After many trails and errors, I finally got what I wanted regarding the platforming moving affecting the player speed.

As for the jumping on terrain, I still couldn't do it. So far I got this in my controller schematic on the jumping part.

Input key
    ::Jump key-->raycast (hit the terrain in a forward direction and storing the normal value-->Vector3 angle-->?

What part comes next? I am still wrapping my head around this :)
  • Next Makinom update will use the local position change for the speed calculation when a game object is parented, that should fix this problem without custom solutions :)

As for the jump - the raycast usually would use the down direction (to check the ground below the player). In the Vector3 Angle step you use From up direction To stored normal and store the result in a float variable, this is the slope value you need.
    Afterwards you can e.g. use a Check Variables or Check Value node to check the stored slope value, e.g. slope < 45 to allow jumping if the slope is below 45 degree.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited August 2016
    Whoa that fix it. Ahah it always gives me motivation whenever I succeeded in doing something, and I'm always grateful to you whenever you helped me with a problem. Thanks.

And aha that would make it even better. I'll use my many-hours-of-errors solution until the next makinom update. :)
  • Just a quick question regarding mounting a platform. If my platform is a square shape it's fine sometimes, but if the platform is shapes like a rectangle, the moment I jump onto it, my player's scales will automatically increase, making him bigger. I think it's because the moment my player mount the platform, it takes in the platform's scales or something. Is there a way to prevent it?
  • The mounted object will scale to the parent object. If your rectangle is a cube with its scale modified you'll need to create a rectangle that is Scale 1 (and is the size you need).

My workflow for this is like this:

Create model in Blender, import to unity and adjust the scale on the .blend import.

This way when I actually bring the model into the Unity Scene it's scale 1 and the size I need. Any modifications to scale I use it on the .blend import file as to keep the Unity Transform scale at 1 (for mounting purposes)
    ORK user since 2014. Patron since 2018.
  • Ah yeah that would work too. One day when I create my own model using blender, I will definity try that. Thanks. :)
    But the thing is that the cube is just an example. I have a turtle model I bought in unity asset store. The model has a walk animation, so the turtle will be walking back and forth in the scene. I also want different sizes of the turtle in the scene, and since the model doesn't come with a .blend file, there's no way I can import it into blender unless I imported the fbx, but that would make me lose all of it's prior animations and such.
  • yea importing the fbx is an option..can't say for those animation tho.

the asset you bought does it have an fbx?

technically if it does you should be able to edit the scale there on the fbx in unity?

For multiple turtles I believe you'll need either script or copies of each prefab / fbx

If not, I guess the only way would be to script it so the scale stays the same. (beyond my skills there)

• edited August 2016
    Ahh thank you. Cause of your advice, I came up with a method of how to make it work.
    A weird method, but it works nonetheless. Just hope no unforeseen problems occur in the future.
    Thanks Artainx :)

• ☺️