edited August 2016 in ORK Support
Hello dear community,

I've come here because I've ended up being really frustrated with ORK and it's "tutorials". I just need an Isometric view from the main camera to my Character when it spawns in the scene and be able to "click to move" him.
If I do this manually with primitive scripts, I can do that within minutes but I need to do that through ORK so that I can update stats and other stuff.

I did follow the basic tutorial, however it wasn't helpful because that character is driven by arrow keys and it uses 3rd person camera control.

I have my own custom character prefab. This prefab doesn't have Character controller and I don't know how to add things like this into an imported prefab from Blender.

So what steps do I have to do? Do I need to set it up in the events somehow?

Right now, my character gets spawned via the basic tutorial into the scene, but it uses the 3rd person camera and the animations doesn't work.

Please help as I'm kinda noob with this stuff.
Using 2.5.3 Ork.

Thanks and regards,

Machal

Edit: I've managed to get my animations to work, forgot to add the full name including the armature one. Now basically what I need is a click to move detailed instruction on how to set it up in the eventer and so on. ANY help is much appreciated.
Post edited by Machal on
  • I've come here because I've ended up being really frustrated with ORK and it's "tutorials". I just need an Isometric view from the main camera to my Character when it spawns in the scene and be able to "click to move" him.
    If you want to use an isometric camera, it can be achieved by the default ork camera controller. Just set the Camera Control Type to mouse, and adjust the settings as needed.

To click to move your character to the spot that was clicked, here is GiL's post from just a few days ago talking about that topic.
    http://forum.orkframework.com/discussion/3431/move-player-turn-player-direction-towerds-point-where-mouse-clicked-screen

I have my own custom character prefab. This prefab doesn't have Character controller and I don't know how to add things like this into an imported prefab from Blender.
    To add a character controller to a prefab, click on the prefab. In the inspector view, click on Add Component, and type in character controller to add it. Or go up to the top to Component>Physics>Character Controller.

• edited August 2016
    If you're using click to move, you're probably going to need to use a NavMesh Agent on your player (as well as on the AI characters) and a baked NavMesh. If you just use the default Unity Character Controller, you won't get any pathfinding.

You'll need to specify that you're using a NavMesh component in your player control setup as well as in each Move AI.

I strongly suggest that you work through the entire 50-part tutorial series WITHOUT changing anything before you start trying to make the game you want. You're getting frustrated because you're getting too far ahead of yourself.

Work through the whole tutorial series first and you'll learn ORK well enough that you won't need detailed step by step instructions for things that aren't covered in the tutorials. They're there to teach you how ORK works; they aren't intended to be a set of instructions in how to build the game you want to make.
    Post edited by Keldryn on
  • Ah yeah, Keldryn is right regarding the NavMesh if you want pathfinding. Just gonna add another thing, if you do want pathfinding on your move to click controller, you will have to use Makinom to create the controller, since Makinom has the NavMesh nodes to let you set the vector3 to a navmesh destination and Ork doesn't have any of that.

Strongly strongly agree on Keldryn's last part.
  • You can do NavMesh with ORK too; you just need to use the Field and Function nodes to get values from the NavMesh Agent.
  • Ah yeah that's true. I didn't think of that.
  • I wrote a tutorial a few months back on how to do more advanced click to move behaviours (for a Baldurs Gate style game control): http://forum.orkframework.com/discussion/2910/tutorial-pc-rpg-style-mouse-driven-interactions-baldur-s-gate-fallout-etc/p1

It's a bit out of date now and I never did get around to updating it, but it should still be useful.
  • Shadow_Fire said: To add a character controller to a prefab, click on the prefab. In the inspector view, click on Add Component, and type in character controller to add it. Or go up to the top to Component>Physics>Character Controller.
    I think I failed the explanation somewhere here first. When you Import a character mesh with animations, you get 3 folders in unity: model, rig, animations. Now I can't add a CC or NavMeshAgent into the model as it's greyed out. So I get an .fbx ending there. The only way I know is that I have to put it into the scene, soI can put a character controller or anything else there. But I have to use the spawn point from ORK to spawn my character and he doesn't have that already imported. So what should I do?

Keldryn - thanks for the great tutorial, definitely what I'm looking for. Just need to find a way how to put the nav mesh agent into my imported model when spawning.
  • @Machal - you need to create a prefab from your model; you don't put components directly on the imported model. Drag the model into the scene, set up the components you need on it, and then drag it into another folder in your Project view to create a prefab. Then you specify this prefab as the Combatant Prefab in the ORK editor.

So the prefab that you create from your model will have the Animator, the Character Controller, and the NavMesh Agent on it.
  • edited August 2016
    Yeah, tried that exactly yesterday, but It was without animations, now I've found out, that my animations were incorrectly typed.
    Thanks for your help Keldryn and Shadow, very much appreciated!

I will look into your tutorial Keldryn, in case I run into some issues during the process, can I contact you?

Also I will go through the entire tutorials of course, but If you can't go past step 3, because you want to go step by step with your very own project, you simply don't want to continue as there is something already wrong you know.
    Post edited by Machal on
  • edited August 2016
    Ok, basically, I've followed your tutorial on how to make the events, however you are using custom controllers to define values, which you've enclosed in a .dll file, but that file is no longer there.
    Can you upload it or guide me about that?

Also in step one: "Ensure the Moving Object is set to Actor."
    Are you referring to Interaction controller in Base/Control settings? Or when you add Event Actor as Player?

Edit: I've gone through the tutorial and done the steps as mentioned:
    Replace the Check Remaining Distance step with these two steps:
    1. Add a Field to Variable step:
    2. Add a Check Game Variables step.
    Replace the Check Destination Changed step with these two steps:
    same style...

After that you metion: "Finally, in both the Change Game Variables steps where this event finishes, add a variable to the list and set the CurrentDestination global variable to be removed. Either that, or at the beginning of the event, add a Variable to Variable step to copy the CurrentDestination global to a local variable and change every instance where you use CurrentDestination to local origin as well."
    I would need this to be explained in a more detailed way please :-)

Anyway, when I add Event Actor: Player and in the scene where I have the ORK Event Interaction script, Start type is selected as Interact...nothing happens. When I set the Start type to Autostart, the character moves in a random way by himself and without my run animation.

Ummm, don't know what to do know, can you help me out pls?

Thanks a lot :)

Post edited by Machal on
  • Actually, I completely forgot that GiL added "Move to Interaction" a few updates back. So you can actually just use those settings instead of my complicated tutorial. Sorry for confusing you. :-)

So enable Move to Interaction in the player control settings (and you'll need to pick the NavMesh component in the drop down here). Then on each Interaction Event you set up in your scene, check the "Move to Interaction" box.

So just use that instead.
    Also I will go through the entire tutorials of course, but If you can't go past step 3, because you want to go step by step with your very own project, you simply don't want to continue as there is something already wrong you know.
    That's why I said do the entire series WITHOUT making changes before you try making your own game. I first tried doing the tutorials but changing it to work like a classic overhead view PC RPG and quickly got to the point where nothing worked.

Don't try and do side by side projects either. Just focus on the tutorial series and when you're done, go back and start making YOUR game. Trust me, you'll save yourself a lot of frustration.

It sounds as though you're new to Unity as well, so it's even more important to not try and do too much too soon. Take your time and really understand how to use ORK before you try building your own game.
  • Keldryn said: This is the type of interaction where you click on an object (a chest, an NPC, etc) and your character pathfinds to the object and then interacts with it when he arrives. If you click somewhere else on the ground while the character is moving to the object, he will stop moving towards the object and the interaction event will not continue.
    /facepalm I'm really stupid to realize, that this isn't actually a "click to move" event anywhere around the navmesh. The "moving object" isn't the player, but the scene object. I guess that with just a basic movement on the navmesh, the event goes much simplier...
  • edited August 2016
    Keldryn said: That's why I said do the entire series WITHOUT making changes before you try making your own game. I first tried doing the tutorials but changing it to work like a classic overhead view PC RPG and quickly got to the point where nothing worked.

Don't try and do side by side projects either. Just focus on the tutorial series and when you're done, go back and start making YOUR game. Trust me, you'll save yourself a lot of frustration.

It sounds as though you're new to Unity as well, so it's even more important to not try and do too much too soon. Take your time and really understand how to use ORK before you try building your own game.
    Yeah, well, I'm a designer, creating characters, animating them, designing levels... not by any chance a developer, making scripts with some interactions is a complete nightmare for me. And I made a lot of my project, like whole scenes that just have to be scripted. At first I wanted to hire someone to do it for me, then a guy on Unity forums recommended me ORK, that it simplifies developing work for rpg stuff. Well, it actually does, but when you don't understand c#, I think it doesn't even matter...

Post edited by Machal on
  • Keldryn said: Actually, I completely forgot that GiL added "Move to Interaction" a few updates back. So you can actually just use those settings instead of my complicated tutorial. Sorry for confusing you. :-)

So enable Move to Interaction in the player control settings (and you'll need to pick the NavMesh component in the drop down here). Then on each Interaction Event you set up in your scene, check the "Move to Interaction" box.

So just use that instead.
    I have Framework 2.5.3 because I'm using Unity 5.1. In player controls (Base/Control), I've got Mouse/Button/None. When I select Mouse, I can get a dropdown menu with nav mesh agent. Can that be your reference to "Move to Interaction"?
  • /facepalm I'm really stupid to realize, that this isn't actually a "click to move" event anywhere around the navmesh. The "moving object" isn't the player, but the scene object. I guess that with just a basic movement on the navmesh, the event goes much simplier...
    No, this tutorial was about being able to click on an object and have your character pathfind his way there, like in Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Divinity: OS, Wasteland 2, etc. The basic click to move is handled entirely by ORK's player control settings. You don't need to use any ORK events for basic movement.
    Yeah, well, I'm a designer, creating characters, animating them, designing levels... not by any chance a developer, making scripts with some interactions is a complete nightmare for me. And I made a lot of my project, like whole scenes that just have to be scripted. At first I wanted to hire someone to do it for me, then a guy on Unity forums recommended me ORK, that it simplifies developing work for rpg stuff. Well, it actually does, but when you don't understand c#, I think it doesn't even matter...
    You don't need to know any C# to build a game with ORK, nor do you need to use any custom components in order to make a functional game. Some things are only possible with custom scripting, but you can always design your game around that if you aren't a programmer or if you don't have access to a programmer.

ORK's events are a visual scripting system, but they're at a much higher level of abstraction than coding in C#. The tutorial series does a good job of gradually introducing more complex events.

I have Framework 2.5.3 because I'm using Unity 5.1. In player controls (Base/Control), I've got Mouse/Button/None. When I select Mouse, I can get a dropdown menu with nav mesh agent. Can that be your reference to "Move to Interaction"?
    No, "Move to Interaction" was added in version 2.7.0 -- not long after I wrote up that tutorial. So with that set up correctly, you can just click on a chest (for example) and your character will pathfind his way to the chest before starting the event that handles opening the chest.

It's pretty essential for a click-to-move game, but you don't need it for basic movement around the scene.

Why exactly are you using Unity 5.1 instead of a more recent version?

So let's take a step back here. Can you tell me in higher-level terms what you're trying to accomplish (feel free to use other games as examples)? That will make it easier to help you if I understand The Big Picture.

For example, is this the sort of setup you're going for: