Hi, I have a lot of these purchased spell prefabs from the asset store, and I want to use them for different player spells by adding them in the "prefab" section of the new spell in ork. I was wondering. How do I control the length of the spell animation playing, and how can i get the spell to play over the enemy instead of randomly in the air near me? So far I have the fireball landing on the enemy, which I think came with ork. Please help if anyone can I'd be very grateful. Thank you.
  • Actually, the fireball that came with ork is just a regular fireball prefab like any others.
    The reason why it is landing on the enemy is because in the battle event (based on the tutorial), GiL moved the fireball to the enemy with a Move Into Direction node.
    How do I control the length of the spell animation playing
    There are many ways to control the length of the spell animation playing.
    One way is just see how long it takes for the spell to complete it's animation and then use a wait node next to the spell spawn node. Let's say I have a spell that garners all the energy around me to form a energy ball and it took 3 second for the animation to play, I just add a wait node of 3 sec next to it.
    how can i get the spell to play over the enemy instead of randomly in the air near me?
    To get the spell to play over the enemy, if the spell first appears in front of the player, just use the Move Into Direction/Change position node to move the spell to the enemy, with either a moving time or just instantly moving the spell. If you want the spell to spawn in front of the enemy, just use the same method except when you spawn the prefab, spawn it with the enemy as the target.
  • Wow awesome Shadow Fire, thanks so much for taking the time to write that out. I understand all of it. I can't wait to test it out. an RPG without cool spell eye candy is not an RPG! hehe. thanks again.
  • No problem. I'm just glad to help whenever I can :)
  • cool. thanks.
  • edited August 2016
    edit- got sound fixed now.
    Post edited by silverglade1 on
  • edited August 2016
    OK. i got both great shooting fireballs , and an engulfing fire spell where the fireball just pops on them, with all enemies as target. The problem is, when i am near 3 enemies , the engulfing pop fireball version kills 3 enemies all at once. I was hoping to only kill the nearest. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks. I set the speed to zero so it instantly appears at the enemy, but it kills masses of them at once.
  • My first load scene won't load to my first scene, it locks up. I have an older version of my game that loads fine. I was wondering if anyone knows how I can reinstall Ork, and not lose my settings? Like reinstall Ork,, and what file to copy back into the Ork directory so all of my settings work is not gone? please. Also, I replaced the Start Event event and it still locks up. I think it may be due to me adding more events to the battle events folder, as it takes longer to load now . I don't know.
  • @silverglade1:

I really don't think you need to reinstall ORK; it's just a couple of .dlls. It's much more likely that something that you changed or added to the project is causing the lock-up.

The file that you're looking for is the ORKProject.asset file. Everything that you set up in the ORK editor is stored in this file.

One thing that you need to understand about how Unity works is that it doesn't keep track of each file in the project by its file name or its folder location, but by a GUID (global unique identifier) that is generated when the file is originally created or imported. You may have noticed that within each folder in your Unity project, there is a .meta file for each file in that folder -- and if you can't see these files, then you'll need to either turn on the viewing of hidden files in your Windows explorer view settings, or else in your Unity project go to Edit -> Project Settings -> Editor and under Version Control, select "Visible Meta Files".

These .meta files are what Unity uses to track each file, and are where the GUID for each file is stored. If you ever start copying files between project in Windows, you absolutely MUST copy the .meta files with (and at the same time as) your asset files, or else Unity will treat them as completely new files and will import them with completely different GUIDs, which will break all references to that file.

So when you specify an event, prefab, etc in the ORK editor, it keeps track of the reference by its GUID. If you delete an event and replace it with a new event with the same name, Unity won't recognize it as the same event and you'll have to re-assign it.

EVERY asset in Unity works this way.

So if your previous working project file had a reference to StartEvent, but you've deleted that and created a new StartEvent, when you revert to your older file you will need to re-assign the event, as the new one will have a different GUID.

I don't know if you've been copying asset files outside of the Unity Editor or if you've been deleting events or prefabs and creating new ones with the same name, but if you have you need to do a thorough check of all of your settings in the ORK editor (and on your prefabs) to ensure that you haven't lost any references.
  • thanks very much. My project is huge, and has a lot of assets and scenes. and i added some spell events. it takes 5 minutes to load the game now, in preview mode, for the first time. it used to take less, but now the more I add, the longer it takes. After that first load the load is much faster on subsequent loads for the game. Maybe I added too much and Ork finally just could not take it. I am going to reassign startEvent
  • The new Ork settings are not importing into my backup file that works.
  • My project is huge, and has a lot of assets and scenes. and i added some spell events.
    This is one of your first problems right here. Develop your core gameplay, iterate on it a few times, and get it all working before you start adding a large amount of content. You're making your job exponentially harder than it needs to be by trying to develop your core gameplay in a "huge" project with "lots of assets and scenes." Get all of your important gameplay systems working using as few visual assets as you can get away with, and only then start gradually adding more, testing and re-testing as you go along.

I believe I may have mentioned to you once or twice previously that you're getting ahead of yourself and trying to do too much at once. ;-)
    it takes 5 minutes to load the game now, in preview mode, for the first time. it used to take less, but now the more I add, the longer it takes.
    So why do you keep adding more when you know that it keeps making the game take longer to load?

After that first load the load is much faster on subsequent loads for the game.
    This is normal, and you'll notice it any any Unity project that has any significant number of assets in it.
    Maybe I added too much and Ork finally just could not take it. I am going to reassign startEvent
    It's got nothing to do with ORK. Your startEvent isn't "loading" anything, it basically just sets up the player and spawns it in the scene.

The more extra "stuff" you add to your project before you get everything working properly, the more difficult you make it for anybody to help you, as the number of unknown variables simply gets too large.
  • edited August 2016
    ok thanks keldryn, The new Ork settings are not importing into my backup file that works. Any ideas? please if you can.
    i really appreciate your time. I even copied the new Ork folder to the working project.
  • nevermind. I found a recent backup. GOD. first rule of game dev. keep it simple. second rule. back up back up back up. EVERY day. lol
  • If scene load doesn't happen (and no scene fading), check the time setting of your Unity project (Edit > Project Settings > Time in the Unity menu). It should be set to 1.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • ok thanks gamingislove. time scale is set to 1. my backup copy works fine. thank god i had it. from now on I am not adding any more scenes to my project until all the gameplay is finished. and backing up more often. i took a big risk that time.