So i'm having a hard time with targeting system in Real Time Battles, and i have some questions.

I used every targeting system available in ORK (and maybe i have messed up) from combatants auto target/near target, clear target on events, battle settings Target Selection and Individual Target Selection (what is the difference btw) etc. but still i have some bugs, the abilities are not going where i m targeting etc.

So what i m trying to achieve is having a targeting system that targets and locks on the target is in front of me and change target with a key press (already know how to next target) or by mouse click.

Again my main problem is that my abilities that i cast via events are not casting on the target sometimes and i cant find why.
  • The target selection is only used when a target would be actively selected by the user, e.g. when selecting an action through the battle menu.

I guess in your case it's best to use group/individual targets - they're marked targets for the group or individual combatant. When using control maps, make sure to disable Use Auto Targets, as they ignore the group/individual targets an use the player combatant's AI settings instead.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited August 2016
    Cannot get it to work, it randomly selects targets for whatever ability, i have closed all near target/auto targets, and i have a cursor so i know what i target, but the ability hits other targets without the cursor sometimes, i have disabled the auto target of abilities too... any idea what else to check?

Edit: Ignore that, Needs Target did the trick on control maps, also i had auto target enabled there so it was my fault. Thanks once again GIL
    Post edited by dlevel on
  • edited August 2016
    Ok so now the problem is that when i dont have a target (even with auto select in individual target selection when i switch targets fast it loses target for a second), sometimes it is opening a hidden battle menu ( i understand that because i have checked with block control in battle menu ) and i can press enter and hear the selections etc.

I m trying to remove that battle menu completely for my game, i will only use real time battles, is there any way to not have it as an option at all as a mechanic?

Also Check User Orientation on Abilities brings an invisible menu when i dont have face to the target that i have to press ESC to bypass it (i guess there is a message that i cant see about not face the target so the skill cannot be executed?).
    Post edited by dlevel on
  • That's most likely the target selection without displaying a menu (i.e. Use Menu is disabled in the target selection settings).

I'll look into it.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited August 2016
    yeap checked it now ( enabled Use Menu and its the target selection ). but i use individual target ( i m trying at least )

I guess the idea is that a message justs pops up that u cannot use this ability ( not facing target ) that doesnt need action from the player.
    Post edited by dlevel on
  • Well, if the group/individual target can't be used (e.g. due to your orientation check), it'll try to find a different target, i.e. call the targeting menu.
    Will most likely require some new settings to only use the control map key on selected targets without calling the target selection.
  • Ok good, for now i disabled the orientation. Is there anything i can do on my end?
  • edited September 2016
    Ok so i had disabled the orientation and had the "needs target" on control maps so i didnt have this problem with the targeting menu. but now i have Area Effect spells which dont have target so i cant have the "Needs Target" on on shortcuts control maps because the player can assign his skills the way he likes... so again the targeting menu pops up.

Is there anything we/I can do about that? Like never call the target menu in real time battles. because real time battles are a no go with this current situation i have.

Thank you.
    Post edited by dlevel on
  • edited September 2016
    For abilities that don't need a target, you should use the None target range.

Currently there are 3 major styles for target selection in real time battles:
    - selecting targets from a battle menu like in the other battle systems
    - using actions on selected group/individual targets
    - using None target range (with optional raycasting) and let damage dealers/zones handle who'll be hit
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • yes but the problem is that if i have a skill on shortcut 1 which needs target, if i press that skill/shortcut without a target (even by mistake), i get the target menu which is not something you want in a real time battle.

thank you.
  • edited September 2016
    you should update your ability with a battle event. Check target, if it's enemy combatant, then it executes ability, otherwise it pops message that you need a target. But you're still bound to defining the target. ORK doesn't have option to select target by mouse over input. It's what I explained in my topic. But I think you don't want to use mouse over targeting so in your case it's easier.
    Post edited by Machal on
  • edited September 2016
    Hmm, i cant find a check target node (check user maybe?) and then how i tell to execute the ability (its an other whole event), i understand how you say it and it makes sense, but i cant find the right nodes i think.
    Post edited by dlevel on
  • edited September 2016
    Yeah, I had same problem as you, but solved it, can't remember now, I'm not at my project atm, will check it when I come home. I used everything in one event. Check user probably, just any node that checks for Actor where you can define target, then Calculate, Spawn prefab, sound and so on. Just like in the tutorials for normal spells.
    Post edited by Machal on
  • edited September 2016
    yeah i will do the same, i just can't find the check target step :) i have tested with almost all check event nodes, would be nice when you check it to reply here and let me know :) thanx again. The faction has the check target if enemy... but again when no enemies around the enemy target menu pops up
    Post edited by dlevel on
  • Real time targeting is definitely something that needs some more/better features - I'll be on it once the whole grid battle stuff is finished :)