edited August 2016 in ORK Support
Hello guys,

I can't find any helpful guide over the internet on how to actually do this, therefore I'm asking for your help.

I have my main character a caster, made a robe for him. This robe covers his animated body parts. How do I actually make a static prefab to follow the bones? Using legacy animations.

While Unity explains, that Skinned mesh renderer is made for these cases, I don't know, how to make it imported in the Robe from Blender. Tried to import separated Robe deformed with the Rig from the character, but it just comes with Animator. When I add Skinned mesh renderer into the prefab and put a root the Robe itself, in the game, it doesn't follow anything at all, it's just deformed in the Idle state.

Appreciate any help..
Post edited by Machal on
  • Hi Machal,
    I've only been able to do this for tops and pants. I've put armatures inside the clothing in blender, then parented them to the mesh with weight painting. I then export them as fbx. You can then match the armature in your clothing item to the corresponding armature on the model. This allows for completely animated swappable gear as in your title. Sorry if this is different to what you were trying to achieve. If you want the robe to flap in the wind you can also add a cloth component to the trailing section you want to flap about. If there is another way (easier than this) please let me know. I don't know of any other way to animate the clothes than exporting them with their own bones. Very keen to know if there is a better way.

There is an existing ork tute for my suggestion.

Hope that helps
  • edited August 2016
    Hey Phesant,

first of all thanks fot the help, basically, I have a Naked Character and a Robe now. In blender I matched the robe with the same skeleton rig as the character and exported it separately. So now, when I import the Robe, it comes with "Armature" part containing animations and "Robe" part containing the Skinned Mesh Renderer.
    Phesant33 said: You can then match the armature in your clothing item to the corresponding armature on the model.
    Can you please explain me, how I should do that? You got any script for that?

I'm using equipment viewer that is childed to the character, it works fine as it shows the prefab, but the skinned mesh renderer doesn't follow all my bones, just the Root one. I feel like I'm missing some really advanced technique for this.

So far I've found out, that there are 2 ways developers do the swapable stuff:
    1. Separate cloth meshes (that affects few bones, like helms, boots.
    2. Mesh replacer clothes (for tighter cloth, covering bigger body parts), which is actually my case. But I was trying to avoid this technique, as you have to cut the base character mesh into body parts and replace them by scripts. But that's opposite of Equipment viewer in ORK as that uses static meshes onto object. ffs...that's a whole rocket science...or maybe my lowest version of ORK doesn't cover this technique.

probably the easiest way is to use a base character mesh for the whole game with covered arms and legs and use static parts that will cosmetically fit when put together..
    Post edited by Machal on
  • http://orkframework.com/tutorial/gameplay/equipment-viewer-child-linking/

Maybe that can help you. I once had the same problem as you, so GiL came up with a tutorial to explain how to link the armatures of both the gear and the model together that have the same skeletal rig.

• edited August 2016
    Ah thanks very much, somehow I missed that tutorial and that's what I was looking for.

Also I've managed to sort my gearing style out by splitting my Robe into a top part like shirt and a bottom part like a skirt. Then I've changed my naked character texture into something like top and bottom part underwear with darker colors, so in case the cloth may intersect a bit, it will not be that visible and it works great. Also when adding other armor parts, like shoulders, thighs, gloves, bracers, the darker underwear fits the holes between parts better than body naked holes, which looks better for me on caster classes.

Post edited by Machal on