edited September 2016 in ORK Support
Hi guys, new ORKie customer here so this may have been solved before. (I tried searching for a solution on the forum but could not find what I'm looking for.)

I would like to increase the speed at which the characters run at each other to attack in Turn Based Battle. I found the variable that does this. ( http://prntscr.com/ck2b29 [Red Arrow] points to it) but this also changes the out of battle running speed. Can someone point me to the code where this is implemented. I'm hoping to maybe hard wire a speed variable for the inbattle run so that that happens much faster and all the out of battle walking/running stuff can still use the current implemented speed methods.

PS. The top arrow in the example points to what I though may be the speed vars for automatic battle runs but messing with those did't yield any results. Anyhow , thank you for your help ahead of time and I hope this makes sense.

PSS. For anyone interested, I'm hoping to port what I current have developed on my own onto ORK and use ORK going forward as it seems to have all the awesome tools that I'm looking for. The game is a space adventure rpg http://www.spacepg.com
Post edited by Gregie on
  • edited September 2016
    Instead of defining a fixed value, use a Formula value type and set up a formula (Game > Formulas) to determine the speed.

E.g. you can use a Check Status node to check if the user is in battle and use a higher value, or base your move speed on a status value which could be increased by a status effect added at the start of the battle.

Also, to clarify the settings - the top arrow (blue) points to the settings that determine at which movement speed to play the walk/run/sprint animations.
    The bottom arrow (red) points to the combatant's actual move speed.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thank you GamingIsLove. Using formulas will make it much more dynamic. Since I'm still getting my brain around the ORK system, is there a place where I can peek at the Global Variable (key) names. I see that this is how the formulas are able to access the variables and I need to somehow connect to the Run Speed one. I take it Run Speed is a global var?

Thanks again

• edited September 2016
    Scratch that :) I figured it out. I was not aware of the Battle events since they were out side of the scope of my Tutorial Folder so I didn't think to mess with them.

Editing the runToTarget.asset did the trick.

Here's a solution for anyone else with a similar question and again big thanks to gamingislove for pointing me in the right direction.

Solution
    http://prntscr.com/ckc58o

PS: Renaming thread as solved.
    Post edited by Gregie on
  • Well, yeah, that's also a solution :)

If you want the run speed to generally be higher in battle, you can handle it as I explained earlier :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Hi GIL, hope you had wonderful holidays.

Necroing this thread because it's related: I need different speeds for battle, world map and villages. The problem is that I don't know how to tell Ork to update the player speed: even if I put a speed formula, Ork only checks it at specific moments, ie, when there's a battle. So it works for battle, but I want Ork to update the player speed for every scene changes for instance.

I know how to set that up with a global event, all I need to know is how to trigger Ork to check the player speed formula and update it, like which node does it, I tried a couple to no avail.

Thanks
  • The move speed is updated with every status reset (which can be triggered in multiple ways, e.g. through status changes). Since you're changing the move speed using a global event, the best way would be to just use a Reset Combatant Status node afterwards (using the player) to update the move speed.
  • Thanks that did work.