Hello!

I have a number of combatant abilities which inflict damage over time in battle; poison effects etc.

Firstly I was wondering whether anybody else had experience in doing something like this 100% through ORK? I'm using scripts but I imagine this is a commonly-used function so maybe there's an easier way?

If not, I'd like to confirm a few things about the method I'm using, as I'm getting into trouble in some areas. I'm using a coroutine to drop the combatant's health by a set amount every half second for a period of time. This works fine for the most part. The problem comes when the combatant dies specifically because of these health reductions. It doesn't seem like I'm triggering combatant death/end battle conditions correctly. I can see that my Victory event is being called, however I'm not collecting any battle gains from the dead combatant...

Does anybody have any thoughts on things I could try?
  • edited October 2016
    Damage over time is usually done through status effects.
    E.g. the game tutorials have the Poison effect, which is applied to the targets of the Poison ability. Status effect can change status values (e.g. HP) either upon cast, each turn or every X seconds (e.g. every 0.5 seconds).

@Raiulyn
    The damage dealers are for physically doing damage, e.g. when a sword or fireball hits a combatant, mostly used in real time battles.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ha. I must be thinking of something like poison mist with AoE effect instead. My bad.
  • Thanks for the really useful responses guys! That's certainly a lot easier than what I was planning; for some reason I thought status effects were per-turn only rather than time-based also.

A follow-up question on status effect stacking then. The 'stackable' option refers to the effect itself or the effect type? I.e. if I have stacking enabled on a 'poison blade' effect, does that mean that 2 hits with poison blade will double the damage over time for a period? or that a poison blade hit and then subsequently another poison effect like 'poison arrow' will affect the combatant with both sets of poison damage? I guess this has an effect on how 'on recast' setting behaves also.
  • If an effect is stackable, it means that it's possible to add it to a combatant multiple times. I.e. if the poison blade effect is added twice, it'll also do damage twice, but each effect does its own damage calculations and has its own time running.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks, makes sense.

Incidentally (and just in case anybody else does the same mistake as me), I found the reason for the original issue I was having whereby the player doesn't collect gains at the end of combat. It was because the player was firing a projectile towards the target, and it was the projectile itself that was inflicting damage on collision. This meant that technically my player hadn't attacked an enemy combatant during combat, thus no gains were being rewarded.
  • edited October 2016
    Yeah ... if the projectile isn't part of an actual attack (e.g. using an event to do damage instead of damage dealers/zones), the damage isn't tied to the user combatant and the player wont get credit for it :)
    Post edited by gamingislove on