Hey,
First I have to say after having spent more time with testing grids, I'm quite impressed with the implementation, it has more options than I expected so thanks for the good work!. The only real issue so far is that grid consisting of physical objects is probably not the most optimal approach. It's a bit hard to edit large grids and it's hard to level design the game when you don't see grid overlaid when moving about other objects. So a way to show grid even when grid object is not selected would be very nice.

Anyway I have a few questions about grid and turn based combat.
But before that just a quick description of what I want to accomplish, in case you can suggest easier method. Basically I want to accomplish three things
1) Each action(move,attack,cast spell) will have two costs, ActionPoint Cost and Stamina Cost.
2)At the start of each new turn, you'll fully regenerate ActionPoints + you'll get 1/4 of the unused action points from the previous turn. At the start of each new turn, You'll also get X amount of stamina but it won't regenerate.
3) Movement will cost fixed Stamina points, and Action point will be determined on how far you walk. So for example each 1 cell walked = 2 AP. So walking 5 cells will cost 10 AP.

I'm using Active Turn Based combat model.

1) Is it possible to use a Status Value for calculating AP, instead of built in action costs? I figure this can be accomplished by using formula, but just wanted to know if more direct way is possible.
2) Can I forgo built in action costs altogether by setting each action cost as 0, and just use status value costs on "Use Cost" for abilities?
2) How can I "Refresh" certain status values on the start of EACH TURN? For example each new turn your Mana is fully refreshed.
3) What is best way to add temporary bonus for consumable status effect? For example increase max health by 10 for 1 turn?
4) Can I add status value cost to grid movement command?
5) For some reason Grid Move path highlight does not work, everything just blinks blue if you select move command, I don't see path showing, even though I set it up to blink purpe/pink like in tutorial.
6) Can I setup ORK so that if you click on enemy directly with left mouse, the default attack action will be performed on it?

Thanks in advance.
  • 1) Yes.
    2) Yes.
    2) In the settings of the battle system you're using, you can add Turn Bonuses to change Consumable type status values (and add status effects).
    3) Status effects.
    4) Currently not. You could reduce status values in the used battle event, though.
    5) Working fine here, must be something with your setup.
    6) Without first selecting the attack command (e.g. in battle menu), you'd have to set it up as a control map key (using the left mouse button) and the attack using raycasting to find the target (at the mouse position).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks Gil, I have been able to implement most thing like I wanted but just few more things.

1) Is it possible to End Turn via ability? Probably through battle event? Is there battle event that can end combatants turn?
    I want to set some status value when Combatants Turn Ends, I have been able to simulate this by changing it in Attack/Spell battle events but can't find the End Turn Option.
  • Also in same manner, would it be possible to simulate Grid Move Combat by adding battle event to Ability?
  • Usually the turn ends after an ability/action is used, unless you've set up the system differently (actions per turn settings in turn based battles). To make sure a combatant's turn ends after an action, add a Change Action Bar node to set the actions per turn to 0.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks, is there a setting where enemies stop fighting when Group leader is killed? Because I think thats whats happening. If supporting character from player group dies NP, if leader dies they just keep doing nothing for the rest of battle.
  • Hm, you might have enabled game over on player death, i.e. since the leader of the player group died (i.e. the player) the game pretty much is game over.
  • do you mean option in Turn Based Battle system?
    This is turned off, is there same option somewhere else?
  • No - is your player's game object still in the scene?
    If not, it may be because the range checks (e.g. for battle AI) will all be out of range otherwise, which would cause this issue.
  • I tried both leaving player object on scene and deleting it on death.
    The other actor in player group is still alive and standing like right next to AI.
  • Hm, can you send me a Unity test project where this occurs to contact@orkframework.com?
    Just a simple scene to test this with your setup.
  • Thanks, I'll try to strip all the art without breaking stuff and send it over.