How do I get something to rotate to face something else on the z axis? Say I'm using the default unity 2d settings, where x and y are the planes I'm using. Now say I want an object to rotate to face the players position, using only the z axis for rotation. How exactly would I get this to work? I've tried both "change rotation" and "rotate to" and neither seems to allow only rotating on the z axis to face an object. At this point I'm pretty stumped.
  • You can e.g. use a Rotate To node using the Lock Rotation setting to block rotation on the axes you don't want (X and Y).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Sorry for the late response, I was away from my computer for a few days. If I lock the x and y rotation then it doesn't rotate at all, it just stays still. It seems like the issue is when an object is rotated towards a target, it wants to rotate it so the objects z axis is facing towards the target. However in a 2D game z axis rotation will make the sprite look wierd. So I want to rotate it so an objects x axis is facing the target. How would I be able to go about doing this?
  • Well, the Z axis doesn't really to much when looking at another game object, this is pretty much only done on the X and Y axes.

If you only want to rotate on the X axis, lock the Y and Z axes.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!