edited March 2017 in ORK Support
Greetings,

I'm doing a variation of the tutorial field scene cinematic where I do fly over but without the dialogue boxes, just changing the camera via the Change Camera Position event nodes like in the tutorial. The problem I keep having is the event will not finish but rather ends abruptly shortly after the player character loads. I have it set to a Blocking Event, Block Player Control, Block Camera Control like in the tutorial. So I'm not sure what causes it to end prematurely. Any ideas?

EDIT: I tried it in 2.9.0 and had the same issues. If I delay the start event that loads the ORK startEvent Event file by entering a time into the Start After (s) field in the Event Settings in the Inspector for say, 20 seconds, which is longer than my camera event, the entire camera event runs fine. So I'm not sure where to check at this point.

Post edited by Squeaker on
  • Sounds like your 2 events are interfering with each other - so either make them one event or time them right to start after each other.

I'd need more infos on the setup of both events to check if there's an issue on ORK's side.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Yeah, that would make sense on the startEvent when the game is loading the first time (events interfering with one another). But if I try the same event in another scene. Much like your field scene. I still have the same issue. In the scene, I just have spawn point. So I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

To give some background, this project is the same one I've been working on for a couple of years off and on. The controller I've used for several years with ORK. The scenes are virtually the same. I even did the tutorial in the scene with spawn point last year sometime and it worked well. So I don't know what or if something has changed. :)
  • Do your camera nodes use the wait options or have wait nodes between them?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Yes, they do. I was able to get everything to work fine if I added the camera move events to the start event. I do a var check at the beginning and branch off into the camera events if it's false. So that is great. The only thing that I don't know how to work around is if I need to do this type of event in another scene where only a spawner is used (not a startEvent).
  • You'll have to try if this works - there's probably something wrong with your setup/event, but without seeing details or having a test project there's not much I can do :)
  • edited March 2017
    My startEvent is mostly based on the tutorial and works as follows:

Event Settings > Join Active Group (player character) > Join Active Group (party member) > Spawn Player (Player: Spawn Point 0). That is the basic start event I've been using. As I said in a previous post I did create a new one that has some Change Camera Position event nodes and works if it's part of the startEvent.

Also I do have another question in relation to events as a whole: When are they called? On Start() / Awake() and is there a way to have events called on Update()? Or are they? The reason I ask is I haven't been able to successfully use an event after the game has started. E.g. you take x action and y event happens, setting a global var that y event can is watching for. Does that make sense? :) The event seems to only check one time. But then I could be setting up the event settings in the scene incorrectly as well.
  • You need to use an Autostart event interaction and enable Repeat Event for that.
  • edited March 2017
    Ok cool. I have been using Autostart but haven't tried Repeat Event. Thanks so much :)

EDIT: Thanks again so much for the help with that. I was able to start and stop my event as needed with a var check in the event etc. What I'm really working towards is essentially an NPC event:

E.G.
    1.) Player spawns in scene
    2.) NPC Spawns after player spawns (for the sake of testing. They could already be in scene too)
    3.) NPC walks up to player
    4.) NPC pops open a dialogue box for quest/information/ etc.

I know this a rather generic but based on the above concept I can do a lot of things. I just don't quite know which event nodes to use. I tried Change Position and a host of other things but either the Move AI take over and the NPC wanders off or they don't move etc. Would you mind laying out a quick sequence of how to do that? Thanks! :)
  • edited March 2017
    If the NPC is a combatant with a move AI, you'd need to either set the player as the move AI's target or disable the move AI of the combatant (i.e. the actor of the event) and use a different movement node, e.g. Change Position or setting the player as target for the NavMesh agent (if you're using it).
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • Excellent, thank you. I'll give that a shot :)