edited March 2014 in General Discussion
I want to set up a basic character creator. Type in a name, pick a race, pick a class etc.

Any advise on the best method to set this up? I was thinking of a Menu with Buttons linked to Global Events, but my set-up seemed overly cumbersome and my guess is there might be a better way.

For example, to pick a race I had a separate button for each race. When selected it called a different Global Event which changed the character class to that race.

I also started looking at using a Store to accomplish this, but I wouldn't want to put the selections into my inventory I'd want to use them immediately.

Any help or advise from the community would be appreciated :)
  • edited March 2014
    The best way is to use the event system with choice dialogues (Show Dialogue).

E.g. as your start event, first display a choice dialogue with the different races - based on the selected choice you can change the class (since each choice has it's own next step).
    But keep in mind that you'll first have to add an actual player combatant to the active player group (using the Join Active Group step), or you wont be able to change the class :)

Edit:
    Also, to let the player input a name (or change start status values), you can use the Value Input Dialogue. It stores the data (e.g. the name or a number for a status value) into variables, which you can use to change the name of a combatant (Set Combatant Name step) or initialize status values (Change Status Value step with Initialize enabled).
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Awesome thanks! I knew there was an easier way to do this.
  • edited March 2014
    Hmm, well the dialogue system worked like a charm for selecting races etc., but the name change doesn't seem to be working.

I have Value Input Dialogue with Value Type as Game Variable and Value as namechange

This is followed in the event by Set Combatant Name with my combatant selected and Value Type as Game Variable and Value as namechange

Tried using Value Type as Value and PlayerPrefs, still nothing. I have the Variable set as Local (but tried with Global as well). Scanning event variable and the variable namechange shows up

Any ideas?

Edit: I'm displaying the name as a message and I've used
    #actor.name0#
    and
    #combatant.name0#
    to test after running the name change and I still just get the default name of the combatant.
    Post edited by Meanjoe on
  • I guess you're having the player set up as an actor and already joined to the active player group, otherwise you wont be able to change his name.

Now, in the Value Input Dialogue, you need to set Value Type to Value, because you're directly defining the name of the variable (e.g. type Game Variable will use the text stored in a game variable as the name of the variable you're using). Input type is, of course, String.
    In the Set Combatant Name, enable Use Actor and select your player actor. This time, Value Type is Game Variable (because we want the text from the variable) and the Value is the name of your variable.

After that, the name of the combatant is set, but you can't display it using #combatant.name0#, because that'll only display the original name from the combatant's settings. #actor.name0# should display it.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks! It worked!

FYI for others that see this, I also needed the variable set to Global. When it was Local it didn't work.
  • Oh, yeah, because there is no variable origin selection in the Set Combatant Name step - I'll put that on my to-do list :)
  • edited July 2014
    I have exactly the same question as the original poster but unlike him I need a tutorial for this because NOTHING said here was useful or understandable for a beginner like me.

Why is there no "character creation" tutorial?

EDIT: And what do you do if you have a party of 6 player characters?
    Post edited by Kashrlyyk on
  • If you're a beginner, I'd recommend going through the game tutorials first.

I'll do a tutorial on this topic when I find the time for it :)