edited April 2017 in ORK Support
Hello, I'm currently using the Ork Framework Free Test version and am working on the tutorial to create the short game. I'm having an issue with NPC placement onto the scene, any NPC I attempt to place starts out separated from the transform position-mover-thingy that allows placement of said NPCs. Due to this fact, it's extremely difficult to position my NPCs properly. When I move the transform position model, it also moves my NPC, but it's extremely difficult to do so when the two items are separated like this on the scene. Here is a picture to show what it looks like: http://imgur.com/a/ntJY0. Rotation in this manner is nearly impossible and is often backwards.

I'm using the latest Unity 5.x version, which I believe is 5.5.3.
Post edited by DasPo on
  • That's strange - do you have the root game object of the NPC selected when moving it?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited April 2017
    "Finally we’ll add the dialogue event in the town scene. Open it the scene 1 Town (Assets/Tutorial Resources/Scenes/).

Drag the NPC_Green prefab (Assets/Tutorial Resources/NPCs) into the scene and place it where you want the dialogue to take place."

I'm at this part of the tutorial and I'm doing exactly as this part asks. I'm grabbing NPC_green prefab straight from the Assets/Tutorial Resources/NPCs and dragging NPC_green prefab onto the scene of "1 Town". Dragging onto the scene vs hierarchy doesn't seem to make a difference with this problem. I tried resetting the transform position, and still no dice. Prior to this, I created and inserted "Spawn Point 0" and didn't have this issue with this Spawn Point object.

I also tried creating a brand new project and tried to insert prefab NPC_green in a fresh project and this odd issue still occurs. This seems to happen with all of the NPC prefabs. HOWEVER, if I drag another prefab such as a helmet or weapon, it works as it should: http://imgur.com/a/Zu0nf.

So, in conclusion, I'm only having issues with the NPC_prefabs, perhaps this is an issue with the Ork Tutorial Test Version and NPC_prefabs?

I was able to rotate and position the NPC manually using the transform controls in the inspector with the NPC selected, but it isn't exactly ideal or elegant. Everything else works fine, my player is able to interact with the NPCs and start dialogue.
    Post edited by DasPo on
  • edited April 2017
    Hello,

I can't comment on the specifics of the tutorial prefabs, but I have this problem sometimes and its usually because there is a child object of the prefab whose transform is miles away from where it's supposed to be. Unity puts the transform tool handle in the centre of all the objects in the prefab. It might be worth expanding the NPC_green prefab and checking the transform values for all the child objects.

Alternatively, I think you can modify this Unity behaviour by changing from 'Center' to 'Pivot'. The button to do this is just below the toolbar in Unity, next to the one labelled 'Local'. Clicking it changes between tranform center and pivot mode.

Apologies if I'm wrong or confusing the situation here

Post edited by stuart on
  • edited April 2017
    stuart, you were right! The child object called "egg" had its transform miles away! I was able to fix the issue. Thank you very much! :) Changing the behavior from "Center" to "Pivot" works like a charm, or, I could just select the "skeleton" child object and the transform for the NPC works as it should. Thanks stuey.
    Post edited by DasPo on
  • Strange - checked the tutorial resources and all the prefabs where in order. Might be just something that happened :D
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!