Hello,

Can someone point me to the right way to set up TPC to work alongside Ork?

Even just getting started has been a challenge. I cannot find a good way to assign the camera to the Player after Ork instantiates the prefab. If I include the camera in the player prefab, most of its functionality is nulled.

I also have a difficult time getting a number of TPC abilities to function. Do these need to be mirrored in Ork's controls, or do I need to ignore them altogether?

Thanks,

Jacob
  • @Keldryn is the expert in this regard, check out this thread on the topic :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks, gil!

I have a case over at Opsive. I read Keldryn's thread already, but I'm not necessarily interested in a full integration, just trying to get the TPC to run purely as a motion controller, but its throwing errors and most of the motion "abilities" won't seem to fire (jump, climb, etc). I haven't used Animator blend trees before, so I'm enjoying the education in that direction anyway.

After reading @Keldryn's post, I might experiment with Ootii' controller also - I own both anyway. :-)

I did figure out what was off with my camera; had nothing to do with prefab inclusion.

I'll repost here if it feels like there's something Ork-specific in the wonkiness. Obviously works for many, and they're both great packages.
  • You need "controllerbridge".
    Justin explains that
    https://www.opsive.com/assets/ThirdPersonController/documentation.php?id=85
    And you don't forget to do "update". It's important.

I'm sad because ORK framework is fabulous, but it suffers from not having a high quality character controller and integration with TPC is limited ...
  • @avantis, @JacobFalling - After my experience trying to build ORKsive, I've concluded that anything beyond a fairly superficial integration (hooking up movement and camera controls) gets into territory that is highly dependent on the particular game you're making.

You can already see that from the difference between my first posts in that thread versus later on before I put it on hold.

That goes for integrating ORK with other character controllers as well. Some might want to just use the character controller for movement and do all of the combat in ORK, bypassing the character controller's combat features entirely. My approach was to keep the controller's melee and ranged combat but offload the calculation of damage and status effects to ORK. The problem with that is that it makes it more difficult for BattleAI to control NPCs. If you're using Behavior Designer for AI, then initiating NPC actions through TPC works well. But if you're going to use BattleAI, it gets messy.

Anyway, feel free to PM me if you'd like me to help with any specific integration goals.