Hi, I just found out about this system and I was wondering how good would it be for making a classic first person dungeon crawler with grid-like movement and turn based battles. Like the old Wizardrys or more recent games like Stranger of Sword City. But instead of choosing classes and then leveling them to get new spells and skills, I want all characters to start with the same class, let's say "Adventurer", and having to learn different skills to earn the different classes with their respective bonuses (like you have to learn the base skills of a Cleric and then you can choose to switch to that class earning bonuses for healing, mana, etc).

I think it should be pretty good based on what I could see from the videos and tutorials but I didn't find much info about people using it specifically for that kind of game so I'm not sure if it would work almost flawlessly or if it would need serious code modification.
  • I think most of your game will be easily implemented, you'll have to do some custom events maybe for your character classes. Then you'll have to tweak the first person camera. Aside from that I think the engine does most of what you want and maybe even easily.
  • Well, I downloaded the trial version and I just made a cube with a rigidbody and a camera. The camera moves with the player just fine but I'm having trouble getting it to move a fixed exact amount for the grid movement, I guess I'll just have to code some simple movement and add it as custom controls.

I gotta say, so far I'm sold. I just need to tinker a bit with the classes and skill system to see how viable is the system I want to use with this framework.

Btw, any recommendations for the fixed movement code? I was thinking it should be simple but after googling a bit it seems a lot of people have problems getting it to move an exact amount. I thought a simple rigidbody.moveposition and moverotation should be enough o_o
  • I've been playing old school grid-move dungeon games lately myself and was looking around and saw this asset. Might handle what you need.

ORK tends to work quite well with most other assets I've come across. I'm guessing you can use this for your movement control and just block ORK's control, as some folks do with other character controllers.

GridMove 1.0

A grid based first person game engine system.

GridMove is a package containing a basic engine to get you started to create games similar to Dungeon Master, Eye of the beholder and other grid based RPG games or simply as an inspiration tool for own ideas.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/64184