Good evening, team!

It's possible to use in and out of combat animations. Is it possible, if using Mecanim rather than legacy animations, to simply switch from one Animator_Controller to another, or should this in/out of combat distinction be handled within a single AC?

If the latter, how can Mecanim tell if my combatant is in or out of combat (and thus when to switch the AC)?
  • Hm, there are different ways to achieve this.

One way would be to use Conditional Prefabs to have a different prefab (e.g. set up with battle AC) during battles.

The other is to use ORK's built-in system to use different animations in battles. It'd work the same as with all the other animations, e.g. setting parameters to transition to different animations.

Generally, Mecanim is a bit overblown or too complex for the task if you're having regular turn based or active time battles (or even real time), as you mostly just want it to play an animation when told to (e.g. perform an attack animation or play a different idle animation). The legacy animation system is more convenient in that regard :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • My hesitation with using Legacy animation over Mecanim has always been rooted in the worry that Unity would, at some point, completely deprecate Legacy animation. Professionally, I spend my time converting legacy to modern database platforms, so I have an ingrained aversion to falling back on to legacy systems, when something newer exists...

But it's been, what, four or five YEARS at this point?

I'll give the Legacy animations methodology a shot!
  • edited October 2017
    I think we'll see the rise of a 3rd animation system before they get rid of the legacy animations :)

It hasn't even been marked as deprecated yet, like the old particle system, which is still around and working. And I haven't yet heard/read anything about dropping legacy animations.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!