Hi,

I have a question. I'm planning on using mainly Playmaker, Behavior Designer, Simple Waypoint System and ORK for my project and I've been spending time on the ORK tutorials. Playmaker integrates easily with Simple Waypoint system.

How would I be able to make an ORK event start with Playmaker. Instead of using ORK's event interaction, is it possible to use Playmaker to run an event. Or is there a way to use both.
  • If Playmaker has some kind of reflection functionality, you should be able to start an ORK event interaction via Playmaker. Otherwise you'll have to write some custom Playmaker nodes/states (or whatever they're called) to do that.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • In Playmaker you can use a "Call Method" action to start events on any GameObject that has an ORK event attached.

After dragging the ORK event from the GameObject you need to control into the Behavior field in the action, you'll see the methods added, like StartEvent.

This one for instance is tied to a IsTrigger collider on another object.
  • Dude thank you so much. This is actually very useful.
  • You can also use Playmaker to switch out the event files. This changes everything.
  • How is that performance wise? I mean to have another "script" handling your events compared to directly doing with ORK only? Anyone tested? I am looking for a solution to have some multiplayer like co-op in my game and when Playmaker Actions came out seemed the way, but it was abandoned.
  • I'm just playing around with it so I don't yet. I'm able to use Playmaker variables to control which event files I can run on a gameobject so that's good.
  • @dlevel
    The performance of such a solution depends on how often it's used. E.g. starting it upon player interaction (e.g. pressing a button to interact with an NPC) will have no influence, but if it's used every frame (or more often), it'll definitely have some (small) impact.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • You can also start playmaker global events from Ork. Using the node "Send Message", Set the function name to SendEvent , click add parameter, set it to string and type in the global event you wish to call. For the target object, you can use a pre defined prefab or just search for the object with your desired playmaker component. You can also use the "Call Function" node, just be sure to use PlayMakerFSM as the component name.

If your interested in setting and getting Ork global varablies, I made a set of actions sometime ago that will do so. They still work as I'm using them in my project.

You can get them here