I want my player to, initially, raise and lower his status values. I am trying to do this Status Upgrades (which may be the wrong path), but here's my current, not working solution:

Grant a player a type of Experience (called CharacterDevelopmentPoints), which has a Status Development of 20 points at level 1, and 0 points at all other levels (you set your stats at level 1, and you can't change them again).

I added two Status Upgrades to my Player Development, both for the same stat (STR). One increases STR by 1, and costs 1 CDP, and the other LOWERS STR by 1 (actually adjusts by -1), and REFUNDS 1 CDP (cost of -1).

However, when I added my StatusValueUpgrade to my Status Menu, it only shows at most one of these (presumably because they're for the same stat). I can increase until I hit the max value for STR, and then (and ONLY then) I can lower it by 1, because it switches to the second (negative) Status Upgrade.

And, of course, this is always available, when I really just want the player to have this ability ONCE, at the beginning of the game.

What I'd ideally like is two small up and down arrows next to each stat, and allow the player to increase or decrease, feeding into some pool value, until they have the stats they want, and then they choose "Confirm" to lock in those choices, and begin the game.

Any ideas? I feel like this problem has been solved, but I couldn't find anything on the forums...

Jim
  • There's currently no stats distribution menu available, so you have 2 options:
    - using status upgrades
    - using a Value Input Dialogue

The status upgrades will show the first available upgrade for a status value, i.e. you can't have +/- upgrades at the same time.

The Value Input Dialogue would use game variables to store the values the player inputs. Afterwards you'd use Change Status Value nodes to Initialize the combatant's status values using the stored variables.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!