• Advanced is better for real time -- at least if you're using direct control (as opposed to something like Diablo).

The Invector scripts I posted work. It's the advanced integration that needs revising.
  • edited January 2018
    -
    Post edited by Scyra on
  • edited November 2017
    @Scyra yes I tried all the demos. I liked the Invector demo and bought it because it was on sale. I'll take a look at this stuff later after I've done more ORK tutorials.

Let's hope we find a good and easy solution for continued integration between Invector and ORK (I'm not much a coder). It's only going to boost both of their sales

@Keldryn I didn't really understand this part: "If you create an additional layer in your animator controller set to "Override" blend mode and with a full body avatar mask, then ORK can play animations on that layer and override whatever animation the controller is playing. Probably need to disable the controller movement or input when this is happening though."

Is that something I'll understand when I've done basic ORK and Invector tutorials?
    I'm currently in chapter "21. Battle events 1" of the Game tutorial, after that I'm doing the Grid-battle tutorials and then looking more into Invector
    Post edited by TenToes on
  • forgot i splurged on black Friday ended up getting Opsive too lol
  • frenzel1990 said: hello noticed this post is new. Im trying to implement invectors 3rd person melee controller into Ork.

Basically want to have realtime combat similar to Skyrim. I need Ork to handle all the stats and leveling. Is it possible with Invector, would that posted script work with what I'm doing?
    You mean something like this? :-)

Scyra said: My decision to purchase Invector was made after comparing demos. Judging purely from demo experience, Invector outshines the others. I don't anticipate too much trouble using the "simple" integration method for my turn-based game.
    No question about it; Invector's demos are very impressive and are much more slick and polished than either Opsive's or ootii's demos. I've been emphasizing the need for a more impressive demo to both Tim (ootii) and Justin (Opsive) for a while. Of all three 3rd person controllers, Invector's demos feel the most like an actual game. Both Opsive's and ootii's controllers are the superior products (in my opinion), as their architectures are more robust and extensible and just much better thought out overall. They also both perform better and more consistently than Invector's controller when tested in the same demo scenes.

I tested (informally) all three using Gabro Media's Urban Underground demo scene; Opsive had the highest average FPS as well as the least variance (meaning it didn't hit really low min FPS spikes). ootii came in second, only slightly below Opsive in terms of average FPS but with greater variance. Invector came in last, with lower average FPS than either Opsive or ootii, plus by far the greatest variance, with the min FPS semi-regularly dropping below 50% of the average FPS. I'm no expert at profiling, but this was as useful exercise to perform.

To be clear, I'm not saying "don't use Invector." I'm just saying that if you're going to use it, go in with both eyes open.
    TenToes said: Let's hope we find a good and easy solution for continued integration between Invector and ORK (I'm not much a coder). It's only going to boost both of their sales
    As I'm not using Invector myself, I don't plan on building a full integration for it, although adapting what I've done for integrating ORK with ootii (and Opsive before that) isn't too much work. However, I'm open to doing a bit of paid work on an Invector integration. ;-)
    TenToes said: @Keldryn I didn't really understand this part: "If you create an additional layer in your animator controller set to "Override" blend mode and with a full body avatar mask, then ORK can play animations on that layer and override whatever animation the controller is playing. Probably need to disable the controller movement or input when this is happening though."

Is that something I'll understand when I've done basic ORK and Invector tutorials?
    I'm currently in chapter "21. Battle events 1" of the Game tutorial, after that I'm doing the Grid-battle tutorials and then looking more into Invector
    If just using ORK's built-in controller (with auto movement) then ORK will play Idle, Walk, and Run states depending on the combatant's movement. Other animations are usually played via Events. But if you're using a separate character controller, then it really wants to be in control of the animator and it will have its own conventions for how the animator states should be set up so there would be conflicts between ORK and the character controller. In this case, putting all of the ORK-controlled animations on a higher indexed animator layer with Override blending enabled means that (for example) if ORK plays a damage animation, it will basically ignore whatever animation the character controller is trying to play.

It's not quite as simple as that, as the controller might also be trying to move the character. If the controller is using root motion to move the character, then the character won't move -- but if not using root motion (Invector now defaults to NOT using root motion data to move the character, but it can be enabled) then the controller will keep moving the character.

Just ask me about it again once you reach that point. ;-)
  • edited January 2018
    -
    Post edited by Scyra on
  • @Scyra - Thanks!

I was using parts of Cleric UI on that one. Since then RPG & MMO UI 6 came out and I'll probably go with that one instead.

The demo in the pictures was the product of a 30-day (more or less) challenge to finish a short but complete game. So there's a bunch of stuff I had to take shortcuts on or just accept as being less than ideal (which was kind of the point of the exercise).

I want to go back and clean up a few things, and then I'll post a new thread and link to a build of the game.
  • edited January 2018
    -
    Post edited by Scyra on
  • @Keldryn yes, that looks like what I had in mind.

I have both invector and opsive. But I'm still running through the ork game tutorial atm so I have some time before I actually need to mess with the 3rd party controllers.

Just looking ahead